What's new

Staying Open in Bad Weather/Additional Profit Centers

allthis4adream1

Reaction score
Weather is everyone's #1 Factor. Even though the wash is closed in bad weather, what have you done (or seen) to hedge against this risk? I've seen gas stations, c-stores, pet washes, and even Rain Insurance. Any thoughts?

packerscw

Reaction score
I notice the weather many people don't go out unless they have to. And people have a place that has a car wash on the back of their mind when its bad weather

allthis4adream1

Reaction score
Allow me to elaborate. Yes the wash will be closed on a rainy day. But What other types of businesses can be tied into a car wash that can stay open?

i.e. FAST FOOD, CONVENIENCE STORE

bigleo48

Reaction score
I have a couple of petwashes, atm and skate sharpening. But weather affects everything. I have a friend who has an upscale clothing store and bad weather kills his business also.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have a couple of petwashes, atm and skate sharpening. But weather affects everything. I have a friend who has an upscale clothing store and bad weather kills his business also.
Since I am EE and operate with one person at a time I rarely close unless it's a steady downpour for many hours. During rainy times there is usualy fix up and clean up for the person to do.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
What you can do as opposed to what you are willing or unable to do usually comes down to category of wash, property size, budget and personal preference.

The arrangement of car wash and gasoline on the same site is particularly strong and a convenience store is not absolutely necessary to make this work.

Gas, convenience store and car wash on the same site is even better but the c-store brings more development cost, labor 24/7, shelf stocking items, inventory, licenses, government regs, etc.

Car wash with 2-bay quick lube is still viable. Figure $275,000 investment and 8,000 SF footprint.

Car wash with drive-thru express coffee still works in certain markets. Figure $225,000 investment and 9,000 SF footprint.

Car wash with express detail is viable. Figure $250,000 investment and 15,000 SF footprint.

Contract postal units (CPU) have worked at car wash sites. With pending cutbacks at USPS, a CPU or print and ship franchise might be a good choice in certain markets. Figure $35,000 investment and 500 SF footprint.

Sometimes I wonder how well a neighborhood fruit and vegetable stand would work as an add-on business to a car wash. I like this idea better than a dog wash.

Hope this helps.

allthis4adream1

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a liquor store actually. Problem is I am a tad concerned about egress especially on days where vehicles are stacked. Any thoughts?