What's new

Starved Pumps caused by Water Softener

Flamingo

Reaction score
Got to the carwash yesterday and the customer said they had to rinse with spot free rinse ,due to no
water on high pressure rinse..Got in equip room and everythinng was bouncing off the wall,,flojets were
hammering ,air compressor running ,no water in resorvoir tank..After checking everything ,realized the softener
was blocking water turned on bypass valve and water was restored..what restricts the softener?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
If you have a dual softener check to see if one is online and one is offline. On mine, just above each tank there is a piston driven by a plastic wheel/cam thingy. One of them should be pushed in, the other out. If they are both in the same position you have a problem. I have had the plastic cam break off before and cause issues. This is the extent of my water softener knowledge. HTH

Flamingo

Reaction score
I have a single tank WS .I will check the cams .Maybe do a regen to see if it helps.

MEP001

Reaction score
If the resin is more than ten years old, or if there's a lot of chlorine in the water, the resin may be broken down and not allowing flow.

I'd recommend replacing it with a dual-tank softener, like a Fleck 9000. You won't have hard water to the equipment while it's regenerating. With a single tank softener, you either have to regenerate it too early most of the time (Costs more in water and salt) or let it run hard before it regenerates (Bad for the resin).