What's new

Startup Operating Capital

Kevin James

Reaction score
I just saw on one of the other sections that a new operator doesn’t have much operating capital and it got me to thinking. How much startup operating capital should a newby have on hand at the time they sign the papers for their new venture. Just curious as to what you guy’s think. An existing Car Wash.

buda

Reaction score
What is your monthly "nut?" What do you have to make to pay the bills, maybe including your own salary?

You will wash some cars but it takes up to 3 to 4 years for a carwash to reach it's potential. Not make money, but reach it's top potential.

That said, I would have at least 2 or 3 months capital in the bank to pay your monthly nut, should you not make a dime.

Then you are not struggling. When you start out struggling in a business it never seems to end.

Operate with enough money to fell comfortable and not be in fear.

Bud Abraham

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would start out with 2 months expenses and include your pay as Bud said. That's not the way I did it and it is stressful feeling cash-poor until business generates sufficuent cash flow on its own.

Managing the place is hard enough, so with a more sufficient cash reserve you can focus on the fun stuff, like marketing and operational standards and practices.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
If you want a qualified answer, you have to give specifics.

You mentioned “an existing carwash.” Is this carwash on-going or closed?

Operating capital requirements vary by type of wash. What type of wash is it?

Etowah