What's new

Starting a 2013 Ram Sport without a key?

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
Bit of an odd situation here on Wednesday, for the first time in 16 years of business we had a customer's vehicle stolen. :(

Here's the kicker; it's a push button start with a dial shifter and both key fobs were accounted for. The dash had displayed "keyfob not detected" when it was parked outside even though the fob was sitting in the center console. My employee tells me he turned it off and brought the keys inside and I have no reason not to believe him.

Someone walked up, got in, and managed to get it started and drove away.

Long story short, we found a suspiscious looking person on camera (another customer whose vehicle was also waiting to be detailed) who was near the truck right before it was stolen and mysteriously appears back 90 minutes later with a pizza. After talking with the Police, my office manager and I figured out where the pizza box was from and 10 minutes later I had located the truck parked in a mall parking lot where the pizza place was. Was incredibly lucky in that it appeared nothing was stolen and there was no damage. Needless to say the Police were amazed that I located the truck.

I have tryed replicating starting Dodge vehicles with the push button start without the keyfob in the vehicle and have been successful on two out of 5. In both cases it appeared that the key was still "scanned in" even though it said "not detected" right before being turned off. Has anyone else experienced being able to start a new Dodge even though there is no fob in the vehicle? This whole situation has me racking my brain for answers and nothing seems logical.

Thanks in advance.