What's new

Starter Overload Burned Up on my blowers

Buzzie8

Reaction score
My blowers quit working today and when I opened the control box that houses the three starter solenoids everything was black and looked burned. After rooting around in the box and cleaning things up, I noticed that one of the overloads for the starter solenoid was where the fire originated. I still do not have it up and running because after replacing the starter solenoid and overload I noticed the relay that was positioned next to the fire looked like it suffered damage from the fire as well. I will replace that tomorrow because I did not have a spare. After I replace the relay socket and relay. I am assuming that they will run but I am not comfortable as to why this might of happened. I will see what amps the motor is pulling once I get it running. In my estimation, the whole purpose of the overload is to protect from a fire much like a fuse would, correct? Oh well, just another day at the wash!

MEP001

Reaction score
If the overload is burned up, it was either defective or the wiring connections weren't tight. The overload is nothing more than a heavy wire with a lighter heat-conductive wire wrapped around it to trigger the overload to trip if too much current is drawn. You might even make sure the overload is wired properly - there's nothing in it that breaks the 3-phase power going through, it only shuts off the control voltage to the contactor coil when it trips.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I am glad you mentioned a loose wire connection. I was thinking this could be the culprit as well. I am pretty sure that all three starters are wired correctly although I did have a problem about a month ago when the output was tripping all three starters in and out uncontrollably causing a quick off and on energizing of the solenoids. I replaced all three and thought that I found a short causing the output to turn them on and off. I am hoping that when I installed the starter that caught on fire that the one leg was not tightened completely. The whole experience over the past month has me somewhat confused.