What's new

Standby Brand New Cat Pump - ready for change over - maybe

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We have always been a believer in having backup pumps & parts to avoid downtime. In fact, over 20 years ago we built a complete mobile pump setup with small tank etc with quick disconnect electrical & with quick disconnect tubing etc. to use as an extra for our extra volume multiple pump washdown manifold & for backup in case a pump would ever go down during a busy day.

We learned something new yesterday morning when we got around to replacing one of our Cat 310s that had developed a rare but serious shaft oil leak. We had a spare brand new Cat 310 that we thought we would have no problem with once installed. This probably applies to other pumps to be fair to Cat Pump Corp. We stored the pump unused for well over 7 years just sitting on the shelf.

Put pump on ... no water output at all. Called Eric at Cat Tech Support. He expertly told me that it can happen after 5 years of being idle ... that parts can stick & seals can be effected. We followed his advice to put up to 100 psi to the pump with all else plugged. We could hear the poppets click. Tested pump & it had output but only 800 psi maximum. Long story short we put brand new both low pressure & high pressure seals on the brand new pump & then it worked properly. We are thinking the air pressure possibly should have been less for getting the poppets to become free or we should have just removed the poppets. One hi pressure seal was moved out of position we found ... but it did not seem like the seals were otherwise in bad shape ... but we replaced with the two kits anyway.

I did a search on the forum & could not find anyone who had shared about a pump "being on the shelf" for too long problem or potential problem ... so here I am ... because I think it could be worthwhile to share the experience ... possibly saving some other operators from the same "gullee surprize surprize" unexpected problem.

Maybe some other long term operator besides myself can elaborate with a similar experience that they had.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

MEP001

Reaction score
How was the high-pressure seal moved out of position?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Not sure ... there are people who understand the internal dynamics of the Cat 310 inner workings better than me. Anybody else have an issue of limited shelf life of the seals within a Cat 310?

MEP001

Reaction score
The only ways the high-pressure seal could have been "moved out of position" would be if it was originally installed swapped with one of the low-pressure seals or it/they were installed with the groove up.

I don't believe the seals are going to degrade on the shelf.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I just installed a pump that was on the shelf and rebuilt 8 years ago. It Worked fine....I agree with Mep, I don't see the seals degrading just sitting on the shelf. Especially if they were oiled when it was put together.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Remember I said that there was on the initial start up ... no water output from the 100% brand new pump stored for possibly a decade. No air lock from tank to inlet was verified.

Possibly the six poppet-spring areas had tighter tolerances (being brand new) & the time caused the area to be drier causing them to all stick??? It seems like disassembling all those as a precaution may have been the way to go before starting pump ... or carefully manually moving the pulley to see if water flowed???

The 90+psi air trick possibly could have posed a danger to a seal???

With the crankshaft going full speed with all the poppets stuck possibly have posed a danger to a seal???

If I understood the inner workings of the Cat 310 those two above statements would then be more than just a theory???

Randy

Reaction score
We’ve never had any issues with long term storage of a Cat 310 pump. They’ve always taken right off after they have been installed with no problem, yours Mike must have been a fluke.

MEP001

Reaction score
Possibly the six poppet-spring areas had tighter tolerances (being brand new) & the time caused the area to be drier causing them to all stick???
No to "higher tolerances," possible that they were stuck closed.

It seems like disassembling all those as a precaution may have been the way to go before starting pump ... or carefully manually moving the pulley to see if water flowed???
No.

The 90+psi air trick possibly could have posed a danger to a seal???
Not to a high-pressure seal. If it damaged a low-pressure seal, it would have made it leak but it still should have worked.

With the crankshaft going full speed with all the poppets stuck possibly have posed a danger to a seal???
No, not unless someone let it run dry for a long time trying to make it prime.

If I understood the inner workings of the Cat 310 those two above statements would then be more than just a theory???
Since you don't know the condition of the seals you replaced or can explain how one was "moved out of position," I don't see what you might learn here.

JustClean

Reaction score
Maybe someone at your wash needed a spare part out of the brand new pump and later put it back together the wrong way...

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Maybe someone at your wash needed a spare part out of the brand new pump and later put it back together the wrong way...
Justclean,

Not a chance of that type of occurrence as you describe happened at our place. Maybe at a larger operation that could happen. Keep in mind we always had another Cat 310 pump that was rebuilt that also was ready to go. The brand new pump was tucked away in its original box so it was supposedly another ready to go when we needed it. Maybe someone else can give an explanation with more of the emphasis on all six of the poppet-spring areas needing to be made so they would freely move again. I tend to agree with Randy ... that it tended to be more the exception than the rule. Since no one else has shared anything similar happening to them ever ... it is becoming increasing likely that Randy actually does make a good point.

Mike

Greg

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
You likely initially had stuck inlet valves. Whether pump is new or used it may flukeishly happen when idle for years.

* The best way to free valves and to avoid seal damage; Connect a garden hose to the pump inlet and run the pump.

In your case, hooking air to the pump while it remained idle did not work. It just wasn't your day :)

Happy to help,
Greg Thoennes
Arimitsu Pumps Sales & Tech. Support