What's new

Standard Changer - Faceplate Security Upgrade

TurboJet

Reaction score
Posted in the past about my security problems with my Standard Changers.

http://forum.autocareforum.net/showthread.php?t=3248&highlight=standard

Found the solution that I needed to reinforce my changers. Install was easy, and replacement part is very high quality. Also, esthetically it looks factory. Very happy, going to pass on the shutter option for now.

For those interested, see links below

http://www.epiccarwashsupply.com/merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=FACE

Scroll down a bit on home page for another pic

http://www.epiccarwashsupply.com/

Hope this may help for others in similar situation.

Turbo.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Nice...but $300! I'd think about it if it was in the $50 range.

Big

TurboJet

Reaction score
Big Leo, the first time my two Standard changers got vandalized, the cost to replace the bill acceptor/verifiers, repair damaged bill stackers, and replace the stock faceplate - $2,500.

Installed a digital video surveillance system with 14 cameras, board camera in each changer, and a sensor on the verifier. Costs $4,000.

Love the surveillance system, but the bottom line it does not stop these vandals from trying to break into these machines.

Second time I got hit, both machines were attacked in under 3 minutes. Alarm went off and I have some nice video. $2,500 again, and whats stopping it from occuring a 3rd or 4th time.

The faceplate on these Standard machines is a weakness (I hope you are reading this Standard Changers), in seconds the faceplate cracks and falls apart (got it on video) with simple tools, then these losers think they are close to payday and really start prying at the internals of the verifier, knock it off its mount, and then attack the bill stacker. They don't get any money, but in the end I'm left with a graveyard of destroyed parts and a large repair bill.

I know these faceplates aren't cheap, but if it saves my verifiers, believe me it will be well worth the $300 each. Also, the other solutions I came up with were in excess of $300 per changer.

Sorry if I sound frustrated, I know in this business you just have to accept the fact that you will have some vandalism, but in this case I believe the manufacturer could have done a better job in the faceplate design. I complained (and so have others) to my local distributor of this inherent design flaw, all I got was there is nothing that could be done, and maybe some steel fabricator can come up with some sort of shield or other idea.

Anyways, main reason for my post is that anyone else who has these machines, you may want to consider these faceplates. It's like the old Fram commercial, it's pay a little now, or maybe a whole lot later along with aggrevation.

Turbo

pitzerwm

Reaction score
You might design your own solution and check with a local machine shop. I haven't looked at their changer in awhile, but A 1/4" plate with a small slot in it welded or bolted over the larger hole, seems to me to a better solution than a plastic thing.

TurboJet

Reaction score
Thanks, Pitzer, but I think I have the solution with the replacement faceplate (link above), which is CNC machined 7/8" thick billet steel. If they get through this faceplate, I'll post about it, but I can't see them being able to, but anything is possible.

Turbo.

MEP001

Reaction score
Any thicker than that and you'd need a longer bill to reach the validator.