What's new

Stainless for swivels?

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
is everyone using stainless swivels for the high pressure guns/hoses and also the foam brush. I am 6 months into my new wash and need to upgrade ALOT of them!! Wondering if I can get by with brass or something else.

Thank you!!

MEP001

Reaction score

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I've been using the first swivel MEP linked to for years, like 20. I use it for high pressure and FB. Lasts a long time, easy to rebuild.

Regarding SS vs brass, yeah, SS lasts longer, is more durable, and IMO looks better. I use SS for a lot of things, definitely for all swivels.

OurTown

Reaction score

MEP001

Reaction score
I've used the swivel in MEP's first link and hate them. They won't swivel.

I now use this one

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1549-fluid-controls-ball-bearing-swivel-38fxm-brass-2000psi.aspx
I have had some that don't swivel well, but since I use two on the HP hose I usually just wait until they go out and once I rebuild them with a dab of marine grade wheel bearing grease they swivel very well. Next time I have one that doesn't swivel I need to take it apart right away as I suspect someone at Adams isn't greasing them.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score

OurTown

Reaction score
Next time I have one that doesn't swivel I need to take it apart right away as I suspect someone at Adams isn't greasing them.
When we get them they are dang near plugged full of red grease.

MEP001

Reaction score
When we get them they are dang near plugged full of red grease.
Red grease? The one time I took a new one apart it had a tiny bit of white lithium grease in it.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I've used the swivel in MEP's first link and hate them. They won't swivel.

I now use this one

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1549-fluid-controls-ball-bearing-swivel-38fxm-brass-2000psi.aspx
I dont understand too many things, or maybe I'm periodically incompetent - a few years ago I needed to replace a few swivels, so I bought 4 of that exact swivel to try out. Every blasted one leaked right away, right where the pin goes thru them. Every. friggin. one.
They're still sitting in a box somewhere, probably way too late to return them. So, like many other things, they will become target practice.

OurTown

Reaction score
Red grease? The one time I took a new one apart it had a tiny bit of white lithium grease in it.
Now that I think about it maybe they were the brass ones that IB referenced. Those and the stainless ones you referenced are the only ones we currently buy. Of course I don't have any spares of either to look at right now.

OurTown

Reaction score
So, like many other things, they will become target practice
At least they will be put to good use. I'm always looking for things to "recycle" in that way.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I believe the reason the SS ones wear out so fast is once pressure builds, they are hard to swivel by design. If you've ever taken one apart, you'll know what I mean. BTW, I like both, as long as your setup keeps the SS ones from having to swivel under pressure....

On the HP hose, I have a SS swivel at the boom and at the gun. About 16" down from the boom, I put in one of the fluid controls BB Swivels....It does all the swiveling when the HP is on. Makes walking around a car so much easier too! The Fluid Controls BB swivels have been installed about 7 years. I've never had one fail. Actually can't think of the last time I replaced a SS swivel either....FWIW!

MEP001

Reaction score
I believe the reason the SS ones wear out so fast is once pressure builds, they are hard to swivel by design.
That doesn't make sense. It's a high pressure swivel, and I expect it to swivel under high pressure. The Adams swivels usually swivel smooth and free under pressure even though there are no bearings, just a nylon washer.

Just opened up a new Adams swivel which was very stiff, probably because of the Loctite in the "bearing" and the almost complete absence of grease (There's a tiny amount of white lithium grease on the o-ring).