What's new

Sta-Rite Booster Pump Blows Fuses

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
YES. I must buy one of these. Will check the tool dealer next to my wash.

Thanks !

soapy

Reaction score
If your wire connections were corroded that could lead to a higher amp draw. I have also seen small particles get lodged in the pump that will cause it to draw excess amps. I have seen several of these pumps start to come apart and small peices of plastic float around inside the pump and jamb it up.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Well.........

Now I don't know what to do next.

Have a replacement setup like suggested on hand complete if problem comes back?

Have electrician test the complete circuit ?
Waxman,

Both is a good idea. Doesn't sound like your particular pump is that expensive, so an assembled spare is a nice thing to have and could actually save some $ if your other one fails on a busy day.

The problem could be external to the pump (that's why I posted last time asking you if you truly identified the problem). So having the feed checked out is a good idea. However, it is rather simple (especially if you have the amp clamp and multimeter).

I must say though, how does the pump sound? If your putting out good PSI and the amp draw is good, it sounds like the pump is fine. I hear what Soapy says, but usually if the pump puts out the PSI (and more as you say), that's not likely the case. It also takes a fair bit of current for a prolonged period of time to burn the windings. So I guess I'm saying that these kind of pumps don't usually crap out without some provocation or indication.

Big

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. The pump does sound fine. Replacement unit by Dayton is between $400-500 complete.

I came in this morning with a new problem on this pump; a small leak between pump and motor.

I didn't use any sealer/geasket material between the two upon reassembly. Should I have? If so what type? The silver permatex? Followed the manual's instructions and it didn't say anything about a gasket there and last night when I left it was not leaking one bit from this spot. This is how I get good at repairs; multiple re-do's.
Thanks!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Realized there is no water that should be at that coupling.

Must be the mechanical seal or other o-ring etc. within this unit.

I have contacted a couple places about a replacement. They want to know cast or stainless, etc. I believe mine to be cast. Also, some of the units in Sonny's say 'not for chem. application'. But mine supplies presoak to the IBA so would the aforementioned Dayton 2P109 suffice?