What's new

SS tire shine

soapy

Reaction score
I am going to convert one of my extra vacs to a tire shine machine. Kleenrite makes a retrofit kit for $795 and I just ordered one. It is a self brush on unit that uses the vac timer and coin mech. I planned on using this as a added benefit for my automatic bays to compete with some of the tunnel washes in the area. I know that tire shine is very inexpensive product to purchase. I was thinking of doing it free but did not want to put it out where everyone could just abuse it. Will probably price it at $2. Does anyone else have any experience with this at a SS wash location?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I am going to convert one of my extra vacs to a tire shine machine. Kleenrite makes a retrofit kit for $795 and I just ordered one. It is a self brush on unit that uses the vac timer and coin mech. I planned on using this as a added benefit for my automatic bays to compete with some of the tunnel washes in the area. I know that tire shine is very inexpensive product to purchase. I was thinking of doing it free but did not want to put it out where everyone could just abuse it. Will probably price it at $2. Does anyone else have any experience with this at a SS wash location?
I wouldn't call tire shine cheap. Most of them cost $15-20/gal. You can't dilute tire shine.

soapy

Reaction score
The tire shine I buy in 55 gallon bulk is much cheaper than Washmee quoted. I have been using it my detail shop for 3 years and still have some of the 55 gallon barrell left.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Doesn't look like a terribly complicated kit. I would love to hear a review and possibly see a video once you have it installed.

soapy

Reaction score
One other thing I am going to do is mount the hose high on a 10 foot light pole I have on the concrete vac island. I will use a coiled foamy brush hose to hang down from the light pole with the trigger and brush attached. This will make it easy to reach all 4 tires and keep the hose off the ground.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I think this is the age old question...but how do you keep one person from using the unit and the next person coming up and using the residual shine that is left? It may not be too much of a problem at the beginning, but as the unit gets more use, I'm sure buildup will leave plenty to be desired...please let us know how you plan to address this.

Thanks!

soapy

Reaction score
Short cycle times of 1 minute or less will provide plenty of product and time to do all 4 tires with a brush applicator. If people using it alot after someone leaves converting over to a spray applicator would be inexpensive and stop the problem.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Short cycle times of 1 minute or less will provide plenty of product and time to do all 4 tires with a brush applicator. If people using it alot after someone leaves converting over to a spray applicator would be inexpensive and stop the problem.
Had one o those. The ground where it was used was always a mess.

soapy

Reaction score
Good point Earl. I am planning on using a water based tire dressing so I can hose down the area to keep it clean.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Even the water based dressing gets slick. You will need to at least spray some APC before hosing or pressure washing almost on a daily basis.

soapy

Reaction score
I installed the new tire shine conversion today. Very easy install. Remove the vac motors and filters first. I had to drill 2 holes and it set right on top of the vac. Hooked up 2 wires that had powered the vac motors to a terminal strip on the new unit and ran the supply hose down through the existing filter holes to the base of the vac and put in bucket of product. Install the dome and new decals and then reset timer for 1 minute. Took less than one hour. Now we just have to wait and see if it sells.

Kevin James

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Can you keep us posted on the revenue return?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Soapy,

Hope it works out for you! However, my competitor has one (Blenco Rhino Machine)...I've never seen it used or signs on the pavement that it has been used.

Plus, one of my best selling vending items is AA Tire Shine 4oz spray cans. No machine, no mess, same margins.

soapy

Reaction score
Here is an update on the tire shine machine. Works pretty good but needed improvment. If someone puts in money the small compressor turns on and pressurizes the unit. It will stayed pressurized for the next couple of cars who could use it without paying. I fixed this by adding a T in the product line after pump. At the T one line still goes to the trigger brush gun. The other outlet of the T is hooked to a normally open 120 volt asco solenoid. When the time is purchased and power is sent to the pump it also energizes the solenoid which closes and allows pressurization during the cycle. As soon as time is expired the solenoid reopens releasing the pressure in the unit. A return product line goes back to the product bucket from the solenoid.
I was able to outscource the materials needed to build my second one from Kleenrite and Harbor Freight. Without the solenoid I can build the same thing for under $200. With the solenoid added It is still under $250. That is a pretty good saving compared to a $800 cost originally.
I also bought some extra tire brush trigger guns from KR and put them on a 1 gallon weed sprayer. At each location we go out and give anyone who has bought a automatic wash a free tire shine. We show the people our new conversion tire shiner and explain if they like it they can get it any time in the future at the machine. So far everyone has loved having the tire shine. I am going to take an old tire and shine 1/2 of the tire and set it up next to the tire shine machines for a good visual. Only time will tell if it sells or not. I think it is something that will need to be demonstrated to customers and then they will buy it.

Shorco1

Reaction score
Soapy, I added Tire Shine to one of my washes, a 5 bay. I have mixed feelings on the merit of adding the Tire Shine. It is messy and requires daily cleaning of the brick walls and floor. I originally added it for increased revenues. However, I converted 4 of the 5 bays to a $5 start price for 20 minutes. The 5 for 20 has created more revenue and attention than the Tire Shine. In fact I believe I will eliminate the Tri Foam also. The customers are using the Foam Brush, soap, and a good quality wax more than the Tri Foam and Tire Shine.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Can someone add a little clarity as to whether or not this is feasible without a vacuum? I have thought about adding something like this, but I don't really want to sacrifice a vacuum if at all necessary?

Shorco1

Reaction score
I'm against adding more toys until the economy starts and upward climb. I would rather give the customer more bang for the buck than more options for his already streached Dollar. Vacs produce good revnue and are easy on maintenance. Customers are looking for deals and cost savings today but than may change in a year or so.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I wonder if you could make one out of a stand-alone fragrance machine? You definitely wouldn't sacrifice any profit by eliminating one of them.