What's new

SS needs rebuilt.

Mohrenberg

Reaction score
I recently purchased a storage unit building which included a 2 bay self serve car wash built in 1978.
Aside from the cat 5cp pumps, and a foam brush panel, and water tank everything else is original.

So, if I want to get it running, I need to remodel the building and buy new equipment.

Things are unhooked and tore apart which makes it difficult to learn how it all works.

My main confusion right now is how the pumps are powered on.

If I get a new coin box with selector switch, and have it hooked up to a Dixmor timer, do I need anything else, or does the timer flip on the pump motors?

From what I've been able to read, the Dixmor timers have a 24vac hookup for low pressure options, but how is the main pump turned on, that runs off 220v motors?

IMG_20201215_112408.jpg IMG_20201110_140716.jpg IMG_20201109_143825.jpg IMG_20201109_144019.jpg

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Those big pink wires are the 208/240VAC 3ph power wires. They are connected to the contactors (with no overloads :oops:).
The contactors are just big relays with 24VAC coils.
Apply 24VAC to the coil and the relay contacts will close, applying high voltage power to the motors.

Car wash timers, like Dixmor, provide that 24VAC "timed output" to the meter box selector switch's common. When properly wired, the selector switch provides 24VAC to the pump contactor.

Make sense? Are you comfortable working around 208/240VAC 3 phase power?
That's a pretty scary panel...and I'm Fearless!

Mohrenberg

Reaction score
Those big pink wires are the 208/240VAC 3ph power wires. They are connected to the contactors (with no overloads :oops:).
The contactors are just big relays with 24VAC coils.
Apply 24VAC to the coil and the relay contacts will close, applying high voltage power to the motors.

Car wash timers, like Dixmor, provide that 24VAC "timed output" to the meter box selector switch's common. When properly wired, the selector switch provides 24VAC to the pump contactor.

Make sense? Are you comfortable working around 208/240VAC 3 phase power?
That's a pretty scary panel...and I'm Fearless!
Thanks!
I was starting to wonder if it just had some kind of 24v relay to kick it on.

I did the electrical in my home, and 2 shops. I plan to rewire this whole building, and strip it down to the steel frame for rebuilding. It still uses fuses instead of breakers.
It's just a steel pole barn essential, and all the steel panels are rusted. Luckily the steel frame is still good, and I've already got plumbing and pits, so I figured I'm halfway there lol.

I'm hoping to get it going, with limited features (wash, rinse, foam brush, maybe foam wax)
Maybe add crypto pay and other options once I know it'll pay for itself.

We're in a tiny town of 450 people, so it's not going to generate a ton of income.

Mohrenberg

Reaction score
Above this blue box is a smaller steel box with big block or metal connectors and stuff, which I had no idea what they were. I assume those are the contactors.