What's new

Squeaky noice with SS booms

Cool Wash

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am not sure how old my SS booms. Previous owner could not tell me. All of them working fine. However, I hear squeaking noice when customers pull them. What is best way to lubricate them. Is WD 40 a good idea here?

Thank you for your advice.

Thanks

Randy

Reaction score
WD-40 won't last very long. You need to grease them. Is there a grease fitting on the boom? You might have to take part of them down and grease the the shaft. If you take them down I'd add a grease fitting if there isn't one. Or you can take to oil them from the top if you can get to them.

Reactions: sjb

MEP001

Reaction score
Post pictures of the booms. Some of them you don't want to ever oil or grease. Some it won't do any good. If there's a grease fitting, it's okay to grease them. If it's your foam brush booms that are squeaking, they do that because there's not a bushing or bearing, so you might as well get used to it.

MEP001

Reaction score
Coleman booms, the high pressure ones should not be oiled or greased. Maybe you can find someone who can machine some nylon bearing inserts. I usually just replace the boom.

The wall mount booms are just going to squeak unless you re-engineer them to accept a nylon bushing.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Hello MEP001,

i have uploaded pictures of my booms. Any insight is great appreciated.

Thank you.
There is a bakalite busing in the boom swivel about 1" x 5' long, can be removed and greased and reinstalled.

Cool Wash

Reaction score
Thank you MEP. it is very helpful. I appreciate your your insights.

Thanks

Randy

Reaction score
We have high pressure booms like yours. When the plastic bearing wore out we replaced it with a piece of gray conduit, drilled and tapped the center section of the boom, put a grease fitting in it and grease the boom about once a year. The foam brush boom we dab a little grease on the friction points a couple times a year.

Cool Wash

Reaction score
Thank you all for your insights. They are greatly appreciated.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Coleman booms, the high pressure ones should not be oiled or greased. Maybe you can find someone who can machine some nylon bearing inserts. I usually just replace the boom.

The wall mount booms are just going to squeak unless you re-engineer them to accept a nylon bushing.
FWIW ... just thinking out loud ... I wonder if there is a better block material option than just having any nylon block material machined. The following article (advert?) seems to suggest that UHMW is the best bushing material???

Also by carefully measuring etc. maybe some specific 3D print option is gradually becoming more of an option vs machining?