What's new

Spotty Cars / Spot Free Rinse

iwashcars

Reaction score
I am running an express wash tunnel with no spot free rinse. About six months ago I started getting these white milky looking spots on the cars after the wash when the residual water dried. I've tried a bunch of different scenario's including running cars through with no drying agent, and even no soap and I always get the spots. I had my water tested and the hardness is 70 and TDS (total dissolved solids) is 100.
Although those numbers are on the high side I don't know if either of those would cause these types of spots. I don't want to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on a spot free rinse system only to have it not make a difference. Is there anything else that I could test for in my water that may cause this? Also is there any way to test a spot free rinse system to see if it would actually work?

iwashcars

Reaction score
What causes such a high TDS? Could it be old pipes or cast iron pipes vs copper? Or is it just the city water and that's what it is? How do I get it down? Do I need an RO system, Spot Free rinse or a deionizer? Don't won't to spend a ton of money only to find out it doesn't make a difference.
Thanks....

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
why not do a real world simple test:

1. wash car

2. towel dry

3. gather one gallon of your current rinse water

4. dump over vehicle

5. allow to dry

6. inspect for spots

7. repeat entire process only substitute 1 gallon r.o. water for current rinse water

8. results???