What's new

Spot Free TDS Increase

OurTown

Reaction score
Today the TDS was 10 after the tank filled last night.

washnvac

Reaction score
Then if the tds is increasing after bay use, you are obviously getting contamination in there from some source.

MEP001

Reaction score
The prefilter keeps large particles out of the membrane. A lot of the systems I've seen have the prefilter before the inlet solenoid. Most are 5 micron filters, I usually use 1 micron if I can find them in the right size. Years ago I had a customer who was having membranes foul after just a couple months, so I tried a .35 micron prefilter and it solved his problem...until he let the filter get plugged and he tried to blast it clean with high pressure.

Reactions: Roz

OurTown

Reaction score
After three crazy busy days (I love road salt) I checked the TDS in a self serve bay and it was 11. The RO system cycled many times today so we have used a lot of spot free water. I'm not sure what was going on before but I'm sure the problem will come back.

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
For some I believe it's ignorance, or possibly cost savings. The cheapest system I've seen is wired against electrical code and uses one leg of 240V run through a float switch with the other leg wired live all the time to the motor. It works, but it's not proper, and with the way it chatters the motor every time it comes on it reduces the pump motor life.
We never wire 110 or 220 to a float switch - only low voltage as a safety precaution.

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
The prefilter keeps large particles out of the membrane. A lot of the systems I've seen have the prefilter before the inlet solenoid. Most are 5 micron filters, I usually use 1 micron if I can find them in the right size. Years ago I had a customer who was having membranes foul after just a couple months, so I tried a .35 micron prefilter and it solved his problem...until he let the filter get plugged and he tried to blast it clean with high pressure.
The membrane manufacturers spec a 5 micron (or below) prefilter.

Also - we have the sediment filters you need always in stock.

Russ

Last edited:

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
Sweet Mother of Pearl!!! In ~25 years of doing this - you win the prize for worst sediment filter I've ever seen.