What's new

Spot free and dry

soapy

Reaction score
With 10 express tunnels now in my town of 70,000 the automatic business is not what it once was but the SS sales have been real strong. Having slack time in my auto bays I am thinking of offering a Spot free rinse and dry cycle in one of my automatics for the SS customers. After they finish in the SS bay they would drive to a automatic and select the spot free rinse and dry cycle. I have seen others try this with dry only but it makes sense that more people would use it if a spot free rinse was also included. I figure we could charge 4 or 5 dollars for it. Thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

MEP001

Reaction score
I tried to do it with a Belanger Vector, but was never able to get the unit to start without at least one presoak cycle. I like the idea, and I had customers asking for it.

washnshine

Reaction score
With 10 express tunnels now in my town of 70,000 the automatic business is not what it once was but the SS sales have been real strong. Having slack time in my auto bays I am thinking of offering a Spot free rinse and dry cycle in one of my automatics for the SS customers. After they finish in the SS bay they would drive to a automatic and select the spot free rinse and dry cycle. I have seen others try this with dry only but it makes sense that more people would use it if a spot free rinse was also included. I figure we could charge 4 or 5 dollars for it. Thoughts? Has anyone tried this?
Great idea, especially if you have idle time in your IBA. I would think it would be better to apply a drying agent/wax and then the blower. Cars will not dry if they are not hydrophobic and beading water . A lot of self serve customers will leave your bay without using the wax and expect to be able to get a reasonably dry car - especially if they are paying $5 for the service, but it won’t happen if the water is flat on their car. Forget posting signs to “use the wax if you want to drive over to the IBA and use the dryer”- that won’t work. That is too much forward thinking for many customers. You would get the best finish if you did drying agent, spot free and then the blower, but that is a lot of time/cycles to use. Either way, I would think you would want some drying agent applied. Don’t know your machine but maybe you can inject some wax into your spot free and get the benefit of both in one cycle before the blower. Maybe advertise it as “wax and dry” and charge $5 - $6.