What's new

Spend a dollar to save a quarter

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
I was having a top ten day last Saturday at my 6 bay self serve. The place was full for almost the whole afternoon. Since it was built as a drive in back out car wash, I find its usually a good idea to be around to help direct traffic and be of other assistance on days like that.
Someone pulled in and waited patiently for a bay to open and pulled in when it did. I nodded and smiled when he pulled in, but before he got out of the car, he rolled down the window and asked how much it cost to wash. I told him that it was $2.00 for four minutes and he could add to the time as he needed to.
He put the car in reverse and informed me that the competition about three miles away is $1.75. Fortunately, I didn't respond to him. That would have just started an argument.
As he was maneuvering out of the busy lot, he kept looking over his shoulder at me like I was supposed to price match the competition or something. I started laughing at him and couldn't stop until long after he was gone. I still think it's funny.

MEP001

Reaction score
Some people just don't get it. I know of a wash that was only 50? for three minutes when everyone around him was over $1 for much less time per coin. The wash did a decent business, but it was mostly bucket-washers because he gave a very poor product. He once bragged to me that his foam brush soap was a one-quart bottle of Joy dish soap which he diluted enough to last a month.

I've recently lowered our time per coin after visiting the competition and seeing that they've cut way, way back on all the chemicals. Not one customer has complained, in fact I still get plenty of compliments on how well everything works.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Skimping on soap, hot water and cleanliness is something I refuse to do.

If that's what it ever takes to make money at this then I will sell the place first!

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Skimping on soap, hot water and cleanliness is something I refuse to do.

If that's what it ever takes to make money at this then I will sell the place first!

Ditto Waxman! When I do get the urge to check out the competition, I see why I don't want to be anything like them.

dclark3344

Reaction score
If you cant offer something better than a persons home driveway, you have already lost the customer. My mentor told me to always offer the absolute best product and be the best value for the customers and you will have customers waiting on your bays when the competion has empty bays. The idea is the make a little off a lot of customers. It has worked well for me.

MEP001

Reaction score
dclark3344 said:
The idea is the make a little off a lot of customers. It has worked well for me.
I have the same policy. Do you want someone coming in once a month and spending two bucks each time, or do you want them coming in once a week spending $5 each time? Do you want them telling their friends "Go to X car wash, they don't care if you spend all day in the bay with a bucket," or do you want "Go to Y car wash, you can get your car slean there without a bucket and sponge"?

I launder and vend a small terry towel for 50? each - it's not much profit per towel, but it was a lot less net when I had a nicer towel for $1. I'd rather sell 100 towels a week at 20? profit each than 6 towels a week at 50? profit each.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Several years ago I was at a major oil company's annual jobbers show. At one of the presentations I attended I was amazed to learn about the percentage of motorists that will pass a gas station that is charging a penny or two more than a competitor.