What's new

Speed Reducer expertise needed

bigjws

Reaction score
I had one of the speed reducers on my old Specialty 'DynaWash' go out today (it's been on there probably 10+years or more). I was able to clean up the name plate and what I could see was it was a Grove Gear HMQ218-1, 56c Frame, 40:1 ratio. Looks like a 5/8" input shaft, with a 1" thru output. The wheel that was on it looks to be welded to a 1" keyed shaft that goes thru the reducer. Of course, after a quick google search, I don't see any of the same model easily accessible. I've got a couple of contacts I can try to reach out to tomorrow when everyone's back to work, but wanted to check in with you guys first .. are these reducers anything that is common on any of the other Automatics? If so, what seems to be the brand most used? Is the shaft/wheel welding a common thing, or was that something Specialty decided to try? I found this one that seems comparable https://uedata.amazon.com/Lexar-Ind...EWM9P93FW16&psc=1&refRID=Q0K9NRR6CEWM9P93FW16 , but it's aluminum instead of cast iron .. a little worried it wouldn't hold up.

bigjws

Reaction score
I probably should’ve clarified a little more also… These are the reducers that are on the drive wheels… So they hold up half the gantry. I also have smaller reducers on the oscillating arms, so they don’t have as much stress. Soapy, are even the drive ones aluminum on yours?