What's new

Speaking of no prep......

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
We are going to add a high pressure manifold for front blasting soon since bug season is ending. Here are some water and soap details: On an average sedan we spray (10) nozzles for 13 seconds and (7) nozzles for 4 seconds for a total 4.725 gallons per car.
On an average suv we spray (10) nozzles for 5 seconds, (14) nozzles for 13 seconds and (7) nozzles for 4 seconds for a total of 8.34 gallons per car.
An average sedan was 3.25 oz/car for a cost of $0.10/car. This is for the “Plus” presoak
The biggest truck was 4.875 oz/car for a cost of $0.15/ car. This is for the “Plus” presoak
Bug spray we didn’t calculate yet.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
So 44,000 cars under our belt and we are going to launch another one at our full service location in Clifton Park. We did make a change now that bug season is done. We've got it making a double pass on the back ends. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U365_TnakmQ

Nothing mechanically has gone wrong so far. No signs of any wear and tear. The nozzle seals are probably going to be the one problem. As the upper valves open and close the pressure briefly spikes above their rating I believe. We've had one or two needing repair. I just thought of an idea that might work. I could open a small dump valve back to the tank just before closing them to prevent the pressure spike. Just thinking out loud. The pressure transducer and the PID loop on the variable frequency drive can't react quick enough. Got a go.

washnvac

Reaction score
Couldn't you put a delay-on-break time delay relay that allows the valve to stay open one or two seconds after pump shuts off? That is a cheap and easy fix, I think. Or you should be able to do it within your plc, I would imagine.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
There's an ultrasonic sensor that detects high vehicles that turns the upper valve on. So a pickup truck gets the upper valve treatment while washing the cab and the pickup area the valve shuts off. The pump is still running. The valves are on the bridge assemble and the pressure relief valve is back at the pump so the pressure spike starts out at the bridge. Just thought of something. Tee in a pressure relief valve at the inlet of the solenoid valve and connect the discharge to the nozzle side. The extra pressure could relieve to the nozzles. Easy and it could work.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
okay I'm sold on No Prep! Lets talk $$$.

When are you going to sell your idea and tech?

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
I had already posted this answer so I just erased it except for the cost. About $55,000 in hardware.

hkim310

Reaction score
That "thing" looks GREAT! I would like to try and build one here at our wash for the same reasons that you (thoffmanjr) built one for your washes in terms of labor and prep time.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
We installed our second unit at our full service location in Halfmoon, NY. NYS, where $15 minimum wage may become a reality, inspires innovation. Our starting wage is $10/hr and our people average $3 in tips per hour. NYS minimum wage is currently at $9 per hour for "non-tipped" employees and $7.50 if the employee earns enough in tips. We pay $10 / hr to attract qualified people.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=7M_TDc22TuM

The first one we installed in Queensbury has 118,000 cars on it with no mechanical issues so far. Same motors, same belts, etc. We have changed a couple of nozzles but we are over pressurizing them I believe. Not too many though.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
........................ NYS, where $15 minimum wage may become a reality, inspires innovation. .
Chicago is at $10.00 minimum going to $10.50 this summer. $13.00 by 2019. The bakery that makes Oreos in Chicago just announced they are closing and leaving the country. Thanks Obamacare and Chicago labor protesters. More jobs gone.

Etowah

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I grew up about a mile from the Nabisco plant in Chicago. When the wind blew right the smell of freshly baked cookies was in the air. Brings me back a few years. Hate it when companies choose to leave the country and can't understand why some politicians feel increasing corporate taxes will mean prosperity in the country when it drives companies out of the country to survive and actually increases the tax burden of those left.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
thank you for your contributions and updates! Everyone here appreciates your innovative ideas.