What's new

Source for T5HO bulbs

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I'll post the link once I test them. I think 4 fixtures with 4 bulbs each is a little over kill? Do you really get that much business after dark? If these bulbs perform as stated, I'll put two fixtures in each bay and have one motion activated. For me, lighting the bays after dark is mainly for security anyway. Currently I light each bay wth two 85w cfl's. 5000 lumens each. It's plenty bright. Switching out to 8000 lumens each should be even better. But one fixture should be all that's needed for security

Mep, I'm Suprised you're considering led's. I thought you didn't like them?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I'll post the link once I test them. I think 4 fixtures with 4 bulbs each is a little over kill? Do you really get that much business after dark? If these bulbs perform as stated, I'll put two fixtures in each bay and have one motion activated. For me, lighting the bays after dark is mainly for security anyway. Currently I light each bay wth two 85w cfl's. 5000 lumens each. It's plenty bright. Switching out to 8000 lumens each should be even better. But one fixture should be all that's needed for security

2Biz,

It could be a case of personal preference but I like G&G's approach of having multiple perfectly spaced 2 foot segments for more even precise angled light on the vehicles. Shutting off 2/3s of the segments (also precisely spaced) based on non activation of the coin box as I have previously posted ... also has made great kilowatts savings sense for us.

Another reason we went with the G&Gs is the fact that we could have the highest quality 24VDC power supplies close to our main panel. This saved on costs for us since we needed more 110 VAC wires available in the bay ... because of increased amperage requirement when improving our hand held blo drys. I am posting this just in case another operator has a similar situation which could be factored in when figuring overall cost of new in-bay lighting.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

MEP001

Reaction score

Summers are hot here, so a lot of people will come in the evening to wash. I've been there at almost midnight and have had all six bays full and someone waiting. It starts getting dark around 5:30 PM in the winter, and since it doesn't get very cold we get plenty of evening business then too. I didn't go with the T5 fixtures, and yes 16 of those in one bay would be overkill.

I never said I don't like LEDs. Until the last year or so they've just been cost-prohibitive to install and the savings are minimal over good fluorescents. What you're suggesting is much more affordable.

soonermajic

Reaction score
So, can I get 8' t8 bulbs? If not, do I Have to switch out all 8 of ballasts?

MEP001

Reaction score
There are no 8' T8 bulbs. There are retrofit kits for 8' T12 fixtures that take four 4' T8 bulbs (Great for replacing T12HO), or you can replace the whole fixture probably around the same cost as the retrofit and just use two 4' bulbs. That would be about as bright as the T12 single-pin 8'.

Randy

Reaction score
Instead of messing around with fluorescent light bulbs why not replace the fluorescent bulbs with these 8’ LED bulbs, put out more light than 8’ fluorescent bulb and they last a lot longer. http://www.eledlights.com/led-lamps...t-ultra-high-lumen-led-tube.html#.Va1kbfmd7xI I replaced all of my 8’ fluorescent bulb with LED bulbs and I couldn’t be happier. I can’t believe how much more light I have in my bays.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Randy, that would be grea5, if I was making $6k/mo, or more, but I barely make half that amount! That may take me years, to get my money back....

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Randy - Was about to ask a question about this. Been thinking of doing my 4 ft HO' as they burn out. Kind f Priciey but it seems I am always replacing bulbs. This would cut down on labor and issues about burned out bulbs.

Randy

Reaction score
A lot of utility companies have rebate programs to help pay for LED lighting you might want to check into it.

Earl, once you install a couple of LED bulbs you’ll do them all. The lighting is so much better. I paid $65 a bulb for mine and they are supposed to last well over 10 years. The fluorescent bulbs that I was using are about $16 each and they only last about 16 - 18 months before they punk out. The ballasts are $45.00, if you can find them. The LED lights draw about half the amount of power the fluorescent did. I think the LED lights are the way to go. A little pricey up front but well worth it.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A lot of utility companies have rebate programs to help pay for LED lighting you might want to check into it.

Earl, once you install a couple of LED bulbs you’ll do them all. The lighting is so much better.
Been there, done that with a tunnel. Was re doing equip and had 20 year Old 400w MH ceiling fixtures. Had previously used some 320 W Scottsdales in tunnels. Bit the Bullet and bought a couple of 150W LEDs to try them out. In short order all the rest of the 400's were replaced at this tunnel with the LEDs. Am in the process of doing the same at other tunnels as the 400W Ballasts die.

Will likely follow suit with the bays vis a vis replacing HO tubes with LEDs as the Ballasts die.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the 66w LED 4' 3 bulb fixture I put over my changer and pop machines.....Each bulb is 22 watts....Puts out an advertised 2750 lumens per bulb...No external driver or ballast...Runs on 120v...The lights in my bays are 85w CFL for comparison...The bulbs in this fixture have a clear lens. When I replace the CFL's in the bays, I'll probably go with frosted bulbs because the clear lens produce shadows....You can see the streaks on the concrete. The frosted bulbs don't do that. But for over the changer, its hardly noticeable.

BTW...These 3 bulb fixtures are about $80.00 including the high output bulbs....

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that with a tunnel. Was re doing equip and had 20 year Old 400w MH ceiling fixtures. Had previously used some 320 W Scottsdales in tunnels. Bit the Bullet and bought a couple of 150W LEDs to try them out. In short order all the rest of the 400's were replaced at this tunnel with the LEDs. Am in the process of doing the same at other tunnels as the 400W Ballasts die.

Will likely follow suit with the bays vis a vis replacing HO tubes with LEDs as the Ballasts die.
What fixture are you using? Can you provide a link to a source? Thanks!

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
2Biz can you also post a link to where you purchased the LED fixture over your changer.
Have you gone through a winter with it? I take it that the fixture is weather proofed and enclosed?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Yes...The 4 foot fixture is vapor tight. I'll post a close up of the fixture later this evening. I just installed the fixture, so I haven't made it through a winter yet. I'll post a link to the website this evening as well. Don't know how to copy and paste links on this smart phone yet!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Earl did you install those fixtures on the ceiling or the wall?
Do you have a picture of the on?
Since my Tunnels are EE, the light needs to be in the center of the tunnel, so they are on the Ceiling. (If customers were watcing from a Hallway on the DS I would want the lights on that wall so the side they were viewing had good illumination.

No photos, and I would expect the photos would be somewhat difficult to get a true idea due to the fact that most of the east wall is glass and daylight in the tunnel varies greatly by time of day. Suffice it to say they are much better than either the 400W or 320 W MH.