What's new

SOS Pads

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can pick up "vendable" SOS pads for a drop shelf vending machine? A customer came by and requested them, he said he's seen them in a two pack before at another wash.

I've searched Windtrax and Kleen-Rite, but couldn't find them there. Has anyone came across where you can buy them by the case?

Reaction score

DavidM

Reaction score
Your customer was probably referring to these...
Nu-White Scrubbie Pads. The decal advertises them for scrubbing tires. They are on page 55 in the KR 2008 book.

We used to sell them but they were a very poor seller for us.

David

pitzerwm

Reaction score
That is what I did, bought them at the store and put two in a baggie. They didn't sell that well.

Etowah
P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Jeff L.:

O respectfully disagree with those who suggest that you buy them in bulk, bag them and then sell them. It's no doubt cheaper than KR but don't you have far more important uses for your time?

It reminded me of two brothers here who literally made their own soap. They explained to me that you had to have a place to do, research soap chemistry, buy the necessary chemicals and a mixer, experiment with various formulas, test them but in the end I'd save 50% of the cost. Huh?

To me, the time of the owner is far better spent promoting his wash, looking at other washes, reading about what other owners have done and the results than trying to save money by buying and packaging SOS pads or mixing your own soap. Just my opinion.

Time & time again I paid going rates for standard products like SOS pads so I'd have time for far more serious concerns; time to think about what would be a serious promotion, how to publize it, what to write about it, where to sell the writings - - on and on.

One very top priority for me was to find out, from many and varied sources, what washes were for sale or soon to be. Next I had to know how to determine their fair market value and tell other the same. This involved big money compared to possible savings by making your own soap, packaging your own SOS pads. Isn't that abundantly clear. Still I realize this suggestion will annoy many insecure operators and some will post angry personal attcks because they realize what they have been doing is not very productive. Have your kids/grandkids put SOS pads in baggies or tokens on cards (I did that) but please think long and hard about priorities for the OWNER.

Patrick H. Crowe

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
Jeff L,

They are in the Windtrax catalog as Nu-White Whitewall Scrubbies as DavidM states. 2 scrubbies per pack.

Uncle Sam

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have had them in a mechanical vendor for close to 18 months now. Haven't sold one.

I would buy some at the grocery store and bag them up to SEE if there was any interest at the wash. If it looks like something to pursue, then buy in bulk.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have had them in a mechanical vendor for close to 18 months now. Haven't sold one.

I would buy some at the grocery store and bag them up to SEE if there was any interest at the wash. If it looks like something to pursue, then buy in bulk.
I agree, these are poor sellers. If I ever get rid of the ones I have I will put something else in their place. They also don't vend well out of a glassfront.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. Seems Windtrax is out of them (at least online). I'll give them a call this week to see if they will be getting them back in.

Everyone's advice is sound, buying in bulk, bagging them up, buying them pre-packaged, etc.. For me, buying them pre-packaged is what I would prefer. Pay the extra for the professionalism.

I'm surprised they haven't sold well for some of you. I guess you do see a lot fewer white wall tires out there. However, frequently I find used SOS pads in the bays. I figure, since I don't sell them now, they must be bringing them in. So might as well sell them!

Thanks everyone, that's why I love this site.

MEP001

Reaction score
They used to be good sellers, but very few people have white sidewalls anymore, and you can't really use them on the raised white lettering. I also don't like the mess people make with them - plastic bag and used scrubbers left on the ground, they get their hands covered with the thick blue soap and smear it all over the meter box and switch knob - it's not worth their 75?.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
This subject reminded me that I need to get rid of that dead weight tying up a spot in my machines. I had mine priced at just .50 and can't get rid of them. I programmed the price at a quarter so maybe I can get them out of there. I left the label at .50. Maybe if someone thinks they are getting something over on me they might buy several before I figure out I have them priced wrong ;)

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
They used to be good sellers, but very few people have white sidewalls anymore, and you can't really use them on the raised white lettering. I also don't like the mess people make with them - plastic bag and used scrubbers left on the ground, they get their hands covered with the thick blue soap and smear it all over the meter box and switch knob - it's not worth their 75?.
I agree. In the conveyor section there is a discussion about a good whitewall cleaner. After eview of my demographics this weekend i am not replacing my worn tire brusha dn pulling out the unit. The poster says more than 20% of his customers have whitewalls . If you are in an area like that they may sell.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I had them and the only place they sold was low income communities. They can also wreak havoc on a Rowe validator.