What's new

Sonnys Dryer

Etowah

Davidson

Reaction score
I have 3 sonnys 15hp dryers on an arch in my IBA. I've been told they are about 15 yrs old. I've owned wash for 3 yrs. Never had much problems until this week. One of the overload starters burned up, didn't trip reset or breaker. Installed new one and found that 2 of 3 blowers are pulling 70 amps each. Got to looking and noticed driver side and top blower implellers were spinning backwards. Reversed wires, impellers spins correctly now and amps went down to 25 each. But now the air direction from the impeller is opposite the exit hole in dryer housing. Air force is lower. Makes no sense why it was installed this way and pulled that many amps for that long. Are the impellers supposed to spin backwards? Going to call Sonnys Monday.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
The impellers are designed for a specific rotation direction. On Sonnys blowers you can reverse the side where the outlet is located by dis-assembling the blower. The hard part is removing the impeller from the motor shaft.

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
Sounds like someone field engineered something there..... i would start questioning what other home remedies were done..... was there a reason the thing was reversed? For example i had to reverse mine last year when i added elephant ears because the bags were too close to vehicles and touching side mirrors, i moved the motors to the outside of the frame and reversed the spin so now my bags are closer to the wall then the cars. I also use sonnys 15hp blowers. I actually had a similar problem as the rest of my equipment was belanger and belanger only uses 10hp motors so when i upgraded to the elephant ear impellers it caused the motors to amp up and trip when i am busy. I had to reduce the impellers back to the smaller ones to reduce the amps.

My point is there is a reason someone reversed it, i would try to figure out why, though they had no clue what they were doing. Good thing is you should dry cars better now....lol....

mac

Reaction score
I see things like this on a regular basis, and have made nice money correcting things. Remember anyone can sell this stuff and you need even less training to install it. I never attribute errors to field engineering when incompetence is so abundant.

Davidson

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I can switch the impellers on the top and driver side blowers and they will be rotating correctly. Just hope I can get them off without too much difficulty.