What's new

Some DIY Innovation for my IBA Dryers

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I posted this a few days ago and the wheels have been spinning since. My thought is that seeing as how I have the same HP as the dryer setup referenced here, could I in theory build some type of home brewed "elephant ear" setup that couples with my existing setup to better increase my side drying capability?

I have no issue at all doing some legwork, but wanted to hear what your guys' thoughts are. I'm sure some will say to just save up and buy one, but I like tinkering and am pretty handy...so what do you think? Is it possible? What would you make it out of?

briteauto

Reaction score
I would think a home brewed elephant ear would be made easiest with some sort of bag or fabric - kind of like the Protovest Stripper Dryers. Dryer hose connecting the generator to your elephant ear, or the generator connected directly to the top/bottom of the ear.

Molded plastic or stainless nozzles seem like they would require more intense fabrication abilities - but you might be able to handle that too.

Good luck.

Mike

briteauto

Reaction score
One other thought:

What about an 8 or 10 inch diameter PVC pipe with a 1 inch slit cut into its length. This could be mounted vertically on each side of the vehicle and attached either directly or via hose to the generator. It would not be an elephant ear, but would extend drying down the sides of the vehicle.

My dimensions are only estimates - you'd have to make some prototypes to find what moves the air the way you want.

You've got my wheels spinning now, Bubbles!

Mike

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
One other thought:

What about an 8 or 10 inch diameter PVC pipe with a 1 inch slit cut into its length. This could be mounted vertically on each side of the vehicle and attached either directly or via hose to the generator. It would not be an elephant ear, but would extend drying down the sides of the vehicle.

My dimensions are only estimates - you'd have to make some prototypes to find what moves the air the way you want.

You've got my wheels spinning now, Bubbles!

Mike
This is the exact thing that I was thinking. I would have to figure out how to attach something that will be flexible enough to work with oscillators...but I really think its possible...my wheels have been spinning for a while...welcome to the club! :D

JIMT

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore.
We have Sonny's elephant ears dryers and customers drive into them but they are flexible and do no damage. Something rigid will break or do damage to the car.
JIMT

Etowah

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore.
We have Sonny's elephant ears dryers and customers drive into them but they are flexible and do no damage. Something rigid will break or do damage to the car.
JIMT
With whatever design I use, I would definitely ensure that if it were bin the path of the vehicle, it would be flexible. Thanks for bringing it up though...don't want to miss that part.

bigleo48

Reaction score
HDPE Tubing (Big O) can be purchased up to 15" in diameter and would be somewhat flexible...however I see you have them outside...the winter cold would likely stiffen them up.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
HDPE Tubing (Big O) can be purchased up to 15" in diameter and would be somewhat flexible...however I see you have them outside...the winter cold would likely stiffen them up.
I think I can develop the sides fairly easy...the part that has me stumped is how to get the top oscillating producers to still operate as intended AND push air through to my side producers...thoughts?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Your not going to have enough volume of air to make the side nozzles effective. I would suspect that adding anything to your existing producers would result in a less acceptable result than what you get now.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Your not going to have enough volume of air to make the side nozzles effective. I would suspect that adding anything to your existing producers would result in a less acceptable result than what you get now.
How could it be any less effective than the Protovest one I linked to in my original post? A 30 HP dryer on only one side at the bottom doesn't seem as efficient as my proposed setup, but I'm sure it works fine as Protovest wouldn't put out a sub-par product.

MEP001

Reaction score
Are you opposed to adding more blowers? The Vector has three separate, non-oscillating blowers and does a very good job. This is the best pic I could find of the setup:

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
If I can avoid it, that would be my best option. I'm not opposed to adding more, but feel like I have the right HP, its just not fully utilized.

MEP001

Reaction score
What about separating the two blowers apart so when they oscillate they also dry the sides of the car?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
How could it be any less effective than the Protovest one I linked to in my original post? A 30 HP dryer on only one side at the bottom doesn't seem as efficient as my proposed setup, but I'm sure it works fine as Protovest wouldn't put out a sub-par product.
The reason the Protovest works is because the fan for the 30Hp single motor is engineered for that application. Your blowers fan and nozzle design is engineered to make it effective. I think you just need to add one more blower in the middle and move the other 2 farther apart enough to get the sides.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
The reason the Protovest works is because the fan for the 30Hp single motor is engineered for that application. Your blowers fan and nozzle design is engineered to make it effective. I think you just need to add one more blower in the middle and move the other 2 farther apart enough to get the sides.
One of my biggest challenges is how to do that...I don't really have the ability to separate my top 2 blowers since they are on welded platforms on the top beam of the dryer stand...ideas?

briteauto

Reaction score
Alright, so you need to keep the top two blowers in position, extend drying down the sides of the vehicle and not add any more producers.

What if you developed and entire arch - top and sides of the vehicle. Your two producers could each feed one-half of the arch. One taking care of the left side of the car (top left and down the left side), the other taking car of the right side of the card (top right and down right the side.)

I guess what I am thinking of as two inverted "L's" that meet at the top center, but do not connect at that point - Kind of like the Belanger Vector when it has two arms. The area down the side of the vehicle could be the slit or elephant ear that was mentioned earlier, but the top would have to be a more rounded opening, since it would be a much greater distance from the car.

I think at this point you might have to forgo the oscillating option or, perhaps you could use the oscillating portion or your existing blowers as the outlet for the top part of the arch . Let each of your existing blowers directly feed one half of the arch, or one inverted L.

Also, as mentioned earlier, you would be asking a lot more of each producer, hence lowering its output. Keep in mind, these blowers were not designed for this type of load, but you still may be able to achieve success - I can't say without seeing it built.

This seems like it would be quite a project, but I hope you come up with something that suits your needs and please - share it with us!

Mike

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Okay, let's assume that the top blowers have to stay where they are...what is the minimal HP you would recommend for using some type of side drying elephant ear, whether DIY or purchased? I would think that 5 HP would be way to small, but would a 7.5 on each side get the job done?

briteauto

Reaction score
I'd go 10hp per side. Don't forget, once these are attached to ears/nozzles or whatever, you are introducing more drag into the flow of air. Better to over compensate at the onset with your blower motor. 7.5 might be right if you were not doing the redirecting via the ear/nozzle.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have a source for the motors, who would have the most cost effective solution for getting the housing, impellar and mounting hardware?

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
I've included the setup I have at my store. Even though the 7 is overkill (and leaves the car almost perfectly dry) it will still do a decent job with 4. I would keep your top 2 and add two side ones, flipped so the intakes are on the opposite side for weight distribution.