What's new

Some customers you just don't need...

easywash

Reaction score
I was at the wash last night doing my month end work.

I was watching the VNC for one of my tellers and I saw a customer try a wash code... then another and another and another... by the time I saw him try at least 15 different times I knew he was up to something...

I went downstairs, I wasn't dressed in my uniform and I had my dog with Me: "Hey can I help you with something... are you having trouble with a washcode."

Him: "Don't need any help, just trying to get a FREE WASH".

Obviously he did not put two and two together that I owned the place...

Me: "Why are you trying to do that"

Him: "I bought a wash a couple of days ago and I don't want to buy another so I'm trying some codes."

He continued to try and punch in more code combinations while I was standing in front of him...

I told him he'd have to get back in his car and leave now. He's not entitled to a Free wash.

Him "What do you care do you work here or something"

Me "Well actually I own the place"

Him: His jaw dropped, he said nothing, got back in his car and pealed out.

Some customers you just don't need or want...

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
True enough.

Yesterday a woman in a 98ish 4 runner said:'the machine just took my $10 and didn't give me a wash." My attendant came to get me in the detail shop. He remembered her and said it was the second time the teller 'ate her $'.

We washed her for free...for the last time. She also said the receipt would not print. I knew this was bs, because both times there were no other problems with the credit given for $ or the receipt printer. When the attendant put her through for free the receipt printed fine.

She's gotten her last free wash from me.

Dirt

Laser Blade
Reaction score
I get that "ate my money" stuff sometimes too. First thing I do is open the paystation, right in front of them, pull the bill box off and we both look at the last bill deposited. If it's the denomination that they said it was, i'll give them a refund. But usually it's a one $ , and I ask them if they can find the $10 bill anywhere. You can imagine the value of the look on their face.

dclark3344

Reaction score
I am with Dirt. I ALWAYS try to verify their stories. There are so many Crack heads now days just trying to get their next fix and people are hard up for cash trying to pull a fast one. I had one crack head called me at 9:30 PM and told me he had lost a $10 bill in the changer. I had just emptied them a couple hours earlier so I opened it up and removed the magazine NO $10 bill. He then tried to convince me it must be waded up in the acceptor. I unsnaped it and NO bill. I then plung in a $1 bill and it worked fine. I walked around to the back of the car to get the tag number and told him he was Guilty of Fraud and if he ever set foot on this property again I would file charges while I pointed out the surveillance cameras that are covering the entances. As times are getting tighter we see a lot more of the scammers coming out. Several years ago we would just take peoples word and give refunds, I am thinking this gave us a reputation of being a mark.

MEP001

Reaction score
We've been lucky that our customer base doesn't include a bunch of scammers, however I had a guy come up to me just a few days ago claiming that he put a $5 bill in a bay and got only two minutes (Impossible, either it would have given him no time at all or at least the minimum startup of 3 minutes), then tried another bay and it did the same thing. He claimed he called the number on the door and left a message (a lie), then claimed he talked to the customers using those same bays and they told him it did the same thing to them (a lie). I searched his plate number on publicdata.com and it showed he lives in a town 15 miles away, so why was he at our wash losing money?

Red Baron

Reaction score
We don't get many scammers around here but when we do, I leave and let my evil twin insure that the scammers never comes back. After I've had to chew someone out, my last comment to them is: "And don't even think about seeking revenge by damaging my property later - you can't even drive by this place without 1 of my cameras seeing you do it."

bigleo48

Reaction score
We too rarely get the scammers, but when someone says "your equipment did this", I say OK, let me check the cameras...I have 30 of them that cover everything from multiple angles 24/7 and a month deep". I usually get a "never mind, it's OK"

BigLeo