What's new

Solid State Timer for Spot Free System

bigjws

Reaction score
Evidently these aren't made much anymore .. I've googled and can't seem to find them anywhere. I believe it's referred to as an 'interval' timer - It allows the solenoid to open for a set amount of time when the spot free maker activates which allows most of the water to be rejected (I assume basically evacuating the lines), then closes the solenoid so that more water goes into the spot free tanks. I've found the 'delay on make' and 'delay on break' versions, but they don't seem to do the same thing as the interval version - am I thinking about this correctly? My current solenoid is normally closed .. I guess I could change it out to normally open and use the 'delay on break' version?

Attachments

bigjws

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think that will work unless I'm looking at it wrong. For one thing, it's 120v (I need 24vac, although I'm sure there are this this kind of timer for 24v). More importantly, I need it to come on for say 45 seconds when it's energized (when the spot free water maker pump comes on) and then shut off .. this allows for 45 seconds of dumping water into the drain and flushing out the system before the solenoid is closed water is put into the spot free tank. It's not a matter of coming on at certain times of the day, but when the spot free maker activates.

MEP001

Reaction score
You're right, I thought it was a timer that you set for minutes on and many more minutes off, which is how a lot of cheap systems work. You could use an adjustable on-delay timer through a relay that would give you an output to open the reject solenoid for the countdown.

Blanco

Reaction score
I like the schneider 821TD10H. It is a multi function and multi voltage timer. It has 10 different timing functions to chose from and can run on any voltage from 12-240V DC/AC. Wire it up then go through the functions and you will find the timing function you need. I believe its going to be function "I" but not positive as I don't have one infront of me to test. It does have the function you need as I have used them before for similar purposes. Also, it has two LED lights that indicate when there is power and when the timer is running.

Hope this helps!

washnvac

Reaction score
McMaster-Carr has them in any voltage you need.

mac

Reaction score
A simple float with an on delay relay will do it for around twenty bucks.