What's new

Solenoid Valve max pressure question

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I was looking at a few of my S.S solenoid valves and noticed they are rated for 125 max psi and a safe working pressure at 150 psi, so which is it 125psi or 150psi??? and now for the kicker, the equipment pressure regulator is to be set at 190-200psi so wouldn't the rubber diagram inside be under an immense amount of stress from the regulator set pressure causing premature failure?.

MEP001

Reaction score
125 is probably the MOPD (Maximum Operating Pressure Differential), which is the highest pressure between the inlet and outlet at which it can pull the plunger open. Safe working pressure is the maximum the body of the solenoid can handle.

Yes, exceeding the pressure would cause it to fail prematurely. It may not be opening just because of the pressure, but the main failure point would be the stem which might be deforming from the pressure.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Yes. I was using Dema's on my pump rack for my radius and notices a high failure rate. THey're rated for 150 psi and the pressure at the manifold is 300 at times. I switched to Danfoss and will see how they hold up.

mac

Reaction score
Good rule of thumb is to use a valve, or any other similar device, that is rated for twice the expected pressure.If you were going to lift a 2,000 pound load you would not use a sling rated for 2,000 pounds.