What's new

Softgloss intermittent

Etowah

Rykosoftgloss

Reaction score
My softgloss xs runs well normally but it is intermittently shutting down leaving soap on car.
When this happens it says car wash controller offline inside on my code a wash. I reset it and it may run for 10 or 12 cars but ultimately it will do it again. Sometimes it will do it more or less often. Any help is appreciated.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
When you describe the machine as "shutting down", can you tell me more about what is actually happening with the machine when this happens? What cycle is it trying to perform at the time this happens (brush, foam bath, rinse, etc.) and where is the machine physically at on the tracks? Is it at the same relative position, towards the entrance, towards the exit, etc.?

When you say the CAW says the carwash controller is offline, this indicates to me that the CAW is talking successfully to the green PLC node in the control panel, but the PLC node isn't able to communicate to the actual PLC. I would usually look at the ribbon cable between the green box and the PLC if this were to happen. Seems unlikely that would be related, but could be if something pulled the output voltage down too far on the PLC to where it could communicate with the node. If this were the case, I'd look for maybe a valve coil pulling down the voltage.

You can also review your diagnostics codes from the PLC. To access these, go to reports, look under the carwash tab and run the report for diagnostics. If you send me your email address, I could send you a list of the 4 digit codes.

Rykosoftgloss

Reaction score
Thanks. It ended up being a mercury switch grounding somehow. It wouldnt do it every time and it was random but i just replaced both and it works great. I have the 4 digit codes just was told that i needed a handheld to get them but i see them in reports now. Thanks Darin

DiamondWash

Reaction score
You can avoid all of that mess with the new Ryko SoftGloss Virtual Treadle retro kit, it eliminates the need for Mercury Switches, Backup hoses, customers complaining about the wash not starting etc. I know after I installed it alot of issues went away and cleaning the bay out is also faster. All pros no cons, just my 2 cents.

slash007

Reaction score
You can avoid all of that mess with the new Ryko SoftGloss Virtual Treadle retro kit, it eliminates the need for Mercury Switches, Backup hoses, customers complaining about the wash not starting etc. I know after I installed it alot of issues went away and cleaning the bay out is also faster. All pros no cons, just my 2 cents.
I installed the virtual treadle and I agree with most of what you said. It's a million times better than what I had before, and complaints of the washing saying "back up" forever are now non existent. While there are many pros, there is one major con. Since there is no bay plate, the wash will start even if the car is pushed into the side of the machine. I have had it happen twice already in 5 months. Car drives in way crooked, misses the entrance guideline and parks all the way next to the machine, literally touching it. Wash sensed the car in place and started. Customers car and my machine both get damaged as the machine gets stuck after moving a couple feet and not being able to move further. In both cases I was lucky enough to get a license plate and file against the customers insurance, but that is still a big issue. Both of these guys were so far over to the left that they almost jumped the main rail the machine rides on. You can't fix stupid, but with the bay plates the machine would not have started. Otherwise, the new system is amazing and I would do it again.

Snowkiwi

Reaction score
I installed the virtual treadle and I agree with most of what you said. It's a million times better than what I had before, and complaints of the washing saying "back up" forever are now non existent. While there are many pros, there is one major con. Since there is no bay plate, the wash will start even if the car is pushed into the side of the machine. I have had it happen twice already in 5 months. Car drives in way crooked, misses the entrance guideline and parks all the way next to the machine, literally touching it. Wash sensed the car in place and started. Customers car and my machine both get damaged as the machine gets stuck after moving a couple feet and not being able to move further. In both cases I was lucky enough to get a license plate and file against the customers insurance, but that is still a big issue. Both of these guys were so far over to the left that they almost jumped the main rail the machine rides on. You can't fix stupid, but with the bay plates the machine would not have started. Otherwise, the new system is amazing and I would do it again.
We had a similar problem on one of our older machines, when we removed the bay plate and installed a "virtual bayplate". To stop customers driving their vehicle into the carwash incorrectly, we installed guide rails made out of 80mm pipe at the carwash entrance, so that they were guided into the machine, still had a few problems, so installed 1 1/2" guide rails at the angle, so that they would hit them if they tried to drive in outside of the guide rails, this has worked well, preventing machine damage.

Day-nightsigns

Reaction score
Same thing here on my SoftGloss: The 24volts/wire going down to the short-bay side eyes was getting smashed about halfway down the car and was completely shutting down the PLC just long enough to short it out and reset it. A few 2¢ zip ties sure would have saved me a lot of frustration and $$$.

soonermajic

Reaction score
this is an awesome thread, especially for SoftGloss owners!