What's new

Softgloss Front Gear Box Failure

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a Softgloss Maxx and this is going to be the second gear box flange that I have to replace in a matter of 2 months. The first time I replaced the whole gearbox/flange and the second time I just replaced the flange since the gear box is in good working condition. Seems to be a poor design but has anyone else every had this problem with their Softgloss? If so what did you guys do to fix it?

As always thanks!

Attachments

soapy

Reaction score
Are you sure the arms are not bent? If they are that would put a lot of stress on that flange.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
I agree with Soapy. After you remove the reducer, put a level across the ends of that arm across the shaft slot. If they aren't level, it would put a load against that reducer flange when tightened, and could cause it to fail as shown.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I have checked the brush arms and yes they are slightly off but I don't think it would be enough to cause that much stress to break that flange. What do you guys think or what have you seen?

@Diamond I don't think they are slamming into the rubber stopper but I am trying to upload a video to see what you guys think. I also check the air gauges on the mainfold and everything is at or less the recommended settings.

Attachments

Ryko CS

Reaction score
You are checking the right area with the level, but you need to do it with the reducer and shaft removed. With the reducer in place, you won't get an accurate reading.

MGSMN

Reaction score
When you set the NEW reducer on the arm in its mounting position before you install the mounting bolts does the reducer sit flat or does it wobble indicating the arm slot cut-out may be bent? If it wobbles and you tighten the 4 mounting bolts, that stress will take a toll on the reducer mounting flange.

Gilleys

Reaction score
I've had a softgloss since 2007. This is what causes the flange on the front gearboxes to break!! The brushes will get hung up on brush guards. This has happened 3 times in the last 2 years. Also after-market bumpers on Jeep Wranglers with excessive gap between bumper and body. This has happed twice. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Highly appreciated!!

Attachments

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I've had a softgloss since 2007. This is what causes the flange on the front gearboxes to break!! The brushes will get hung up on brush guards. This has happened 3 times in the last 2 years. Also after-market bumpers on Jeep Wranglers with excessive gap between bumper and body. This has happed twice. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Highly appreciated!!
Replace it with a touch free system......just messing with ya but there really isn't anything you can do besides put up a sign stating what items cannot go through your wash and most of all have really good cameras to capture license plates because some of my customers have helped me buy new equipment thanks to that camera investment.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Replace it with a touch free system......just messing with ya but there really isn't anything you can do besides put up a sign stating what items cannot go through your wash and most of all have really good cameras to capture license plates because some of my customers have helped me buy new equipment thanks to that camera investment.
We have signage, the big TSS LED tv menu w/ that highlighted, all yo no avail...

Gilleys

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try some more signs. I have a NVR system with twelve 5mp cameras that has saved thousands of dollars!!