What's new

Soft touch VS touch free

jeffpohl4

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and new to the world of car washing...im learning fast though (I like to think) I live in a small town and have a simple 2 bay SS and a Radiantz Automatic... I fear I may be shorting myself with the Soft touch and may do better with the touch free. Any feedback would be tremendous! We have a population of 2987 and Im washing an average 866 cars a month. Keep in mind im in MN and I only opened in the last week of Feb 2014 so i like to think those numbers would increase a little but what do i know:) It just seams that we still live in a world that doesnt want anything touching our vehicles...i only wish i would've thought of this before spending the money on the WW Radiantz. What Im looking at now is changing out my soft touch for a touch free. Please fill me in on your opinions of that thought and yur thoughts on the best touch free etc. thank you so much, Jeff

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I would stay with what you have. Many operators that have one of each will say that the friction wash is preferred. Your town is pretty small and you are washing almost 30 CPD...not too bad.

jeffpohl4

Reaction score
Am i wrong in thinking that a touch free would draw more business? more water usage and more chem but would it pay?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
When carwash developers make decisions about locations to choose and what site characteristics to choose for the chosen site, they usually rely on models of sales assessment.

For example, I would judge total available market in a town of 3,000 as roughly $180,000.

If volume is 886 CPM or 10,600 CPY, $7.00 average is $74,200 gross. Two wands at $1,200 a month plus vacuum and vend figure $40,000. So, total sales would be $114,200.

$180,000 - $114,200 = $65,800 unmet demand

In other words, $65,800 is the maximum amount to gain from improvements considering no additional competition.

What is cost of ownership for making the switch from friction to touch-less?

How much of the unmet demand will be captured from offering touch-less and how many friction customers may balk at prospect of using touch-less? Also, consider that some of the unmet demand includes other segments (full-serve and wand users).

Solving these issues will be more productive than trying to determine who makes the best touch-free.

jeffpohl4

Reaction score
Im waiting for the numbers on switching over, It may be cost prohibitive to do so...I just know that Im in "Small town USA" and I need to keep the majority happy! Is that a touch-less...I dont know yet I guess. I do know that several people have told me they love my SS but would never use the auto, the flip side is that many people love my auto and some quit using it due to damage :( The next town over has an aging but well maintained Lazer 4000. Other than that the next closest wash is 20 miles away. Maybe the question I should ask is 866 cars per month in an auto bay good, ok or should I be doing better in a town this size? Maybe I wait another year and see if my numbers go up , drop or stay the same! Im just a construction guy who saw a need in my town and jumped at the opportunity...now its time to learn I guess :)

smallwash

Reaction score
Jeff,

I am in a small town in Oklahoma. Population approx. 2,300. I average 10 cars per day with my touchfree. There is another automatic (WashWorld HV) in this small town that averages 5 cars per day. 28 cars per day would be awesome! In my opinion 28 cars per day is on the high side of a town your size can wash and there are only so many auto washers in the rural communities. We do have a lot of dirt road vehicles, that can only get clean in the SS wash. Good luck to you.

Smallwash

jeffpohl4

Reaction score
Smallwash,
When put that way i fell better about my numbers I guess. I opened at the end of winter last year and was happy to see 60-90 cars a day when the sun was shining and the temps rose above zero! The summer months really brought the average down due to people washing at home and cleaner roads. The snowy season has just started up here so I hope to start seeing those numbers come up. I wish you the best and I hope you get some of those 30+ car days.
Jeff

soapy

Reaction score
Robert R. I guess if I boil down your post you are saying that $60 is spent per year per person in the average town on car washing. Does that figure play out for most locations?

BBE

Reaction score
Robert R. I guess if I boil down your post you are saying that $60 is spent per year per person in the average town on car washing. Does that figure play out for most locations?
Was wondering the same thing myself. That's what I broke that down into as well.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
jeffpohl14 that's a good car count for a town your size and washworld is a good company just keep doing what your doing and make sure to keep your customers happy by offering clean cars/chemicals clean and well maintained site and return refunds and you will be ok

Randy

Reaction score
jeffpohl4
Would this car wash be the “Touch & Go” car wash in Milaca, MN? With a population of only 2987 I’d consider myself pretty darn lucky to be washing 866 cars a month. It is what it is.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Washing that many cars a month in a town that size means you're probably getting a lot of return customers, loyalty. I wouldn't take away what they're coming for. Are they asking for a touch free? Will they wash more often? Or are you trying to attract more customers?

If you're dead set on a touch less, I would recommend leaving what you have and ADD a touchless to your site, not replace a soft touch. That way you can offer something to both types of customers.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
When carwash developers make decisions about locations to choose and what site characteristics to choose for the chosen site, they usually rely on models of sales assessment.

For example, I would judge total available market in a town of 3,000 as roughly $180,000.

If volume is 886 CPM or 10,600 CPY, $7.00 average is $74,200 gross. Two wands at $1,200 a month plus vacuum and vend figure $40,000. So, total sales would be $114,200.

$180,000 - $114,200 = $65,800 unmet demand

In other words, $65,800 is the maximum amount to gain from improvements considering no additional competition.

What is cost of ownership for making the switch from friction to touch-less?

How much of the unmet demand will be captured from offering touch-less and how many friction customers may balk at prospect of using touch-less? Also, consider that some of the unmet demand includes other segments (full-serve and wand users).

Solving these issues will be more productive than trying to determine who makes the best touch-free.
What formula do you use to obtain total available market $ ?