What's new

Soap/Wax/Rinse Setup

APW

Reaction score
For those of you who use gravity feed for soap and wax do you have a solenoid and city feed for rinse or do you use gravity feed for rinse as well?

MEP001

Reaction score
Very few washes in Texas have gravity feed rinse from a separate cold water tank, if that's what you're asking.

Mine was built to gravity feed hot water from a tank, and the solenoid is meant to force cold water to overwhelm the gravity feed with rinse selected, but the boiler hasn't worked in years and all the solenoids are unhooked, so now everything just comes from the same tank.

APW

Reaction score
I will not be using hot water for any functions either. Just trying to think through how I want to rebuild these pump stands. Currently there are two tanks one for soap and one for wax. I would have to add a third tank for water to the pump for soap and wax. Or I could do an injector and just have a city pressure feed with an solenoid. Not sure which way to go...

washnshine

Reaction score
I would add the third tank for consistency on your system. I always like to have the water in a tank before it goes out to the bays - easier to check the quality, temp. etc. of the water if you have it there right in front of you.

APW

Reaction score
I would add the third tank for consistency on your system. I always like to have the water in a tank before it goes out to the bays - easier to check the quality, temp. etc. of the water if you have it there right in front of you.
Do you have a city feed for high pressure rinse or everything from the tank?

washnshine

Reaction score
I have it from the tank, but that was how I inherited it when I bought the wash. I didn’t have to add a tank. I got used to just having separate and dedicated soap/wax/rinse tanks. Not wrong to do it the other way - others may prefer it. I just like the consistency having them all the same. Also - if you are rinsing with softened water, you need a holding tank for the treated water.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Coleman pump stands are set up with a hot water holding tank and a pressurized (25 psi or so) rinse. It seems to work fine.

I have a DH millineum pump stand that uses exclusively pressurized feeds. The soap is injected using a Dema injector. There are no water holding tanks. I do not care for it, it is complex in comparison to the Coleman stand. Each bay has a pressure regulator and injector in addition to the solenoid. When the soap is not flowing properly you have multiple things to check.

APW

Reaction score
I guess it's all personal preference but just to keep it simple and less parts would it be a good idea to have a holding tank for the rinse and not worry about any city feed or solenoids.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have Hot/Cold gravity tanks, about 10 gallons each with individual ball valves to each pump for servicing. Erie valves that switch between hot/cold...Wax/Soap is hot water, rinse is cold water...Plumb with 1/2" hose and fittings. No need for valves to throttle water to pumps. 1/2" plumbing has enough vacuum for Soap/Wax to draw. Small SS tanks for Soap, Wax, PS and FB soap....Not a single issue in 7-8 years. If Erie valve ever fails, it fails open to hot water. No chance to starve a pump, one port always open on an Erie valve. I have a spare assembly ready to install in minutes in case of failure...Still sitting on shelf!

Reactions: APW

MEP001

Reaction score
I have a DH millineum pump stand that uses exclusively pressurized feeds. The soap is injected using a Dema injector. There are no water holding tanks. I do not care for it, it is complex in comparison to the Coleman stand. Each bay has a pressure regulator and injector in addition to the solenoid. When the soap is not flowing properly you have multiple things to check.
You should see the newest D&S stands. Everything is injected at the pump, spot-free goes through the pump, there are two regulators plus injectors plus all the usual solenoids as a traditional car wash put together in a way that almost nothing is serviceable. All this mess to not have tanks "to save space" that's now taken up by all the buckets and barrels around the stand.