What's new

Soap residue removal in 310 heads?

Wayne J

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with a white chalky build up in the inlet side plumbing and in the heads. I've been told it was because I was mixing the soap too strong. I've diluted the mixture some. Haven't had any customer complaints so far.

Anyhow I have a head that I need to remove a valve from. I can't get the valves out because of the build up around the valves. What is a good way to remove this build up?

Thanks,
Wayne

MEP001

Reaction score
Take the manifold off, remove all the seals, pull the plastic tops off the valves and soak it in Klean Wall.

The chalky buildup is more likely to be from hard water than running soap too strong.

Randy

Reaction score
I think that “White Chalky” substance would be Calcium and not Soap. I’d try soaking it in “CLR” before doing anything else. If you’re worried about the dangers of using CLR try soaking the head in white distilled vinegar.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Sounds like hard water build up. Make sure you are using a chemical that is hard water tolerant especially if you aren't softening the water.

Etowah

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Most of it could be calcium buildup from hard water but if the chemicals you are using are not hard water tolerant some or much of it could be product residue from undisolved solids. I have seen products that are not hard water tolerant clog up 1/2 inch supply lines.

Plow Guy

Reaction score
Wayne, You may have a vacuum leak on the soap or wax injection system. Air in your pump head can oxidize your soap or calcium. I have had Kip valves and poly hose fittings suck air but not drip fluid. Try using a pressure regulator on your air compressor.1 or 2 pounds is good. then attach it at your poly hose on your pump head. Look for bubbles, then remove the feed line at your kip valve and check for bubbles at your distribution manifold and lines feeding your other pumps. The screen at your hydro minder tank can be restricted causing cavitation and air in your lines. When you find your leek you will notice a noise reduction in your pumps. Good luck, Pete

Wayne J

Reaction score
So far what I have discovered is that there is no build up in either the hot or cold water supply lines and fittings. The first place the build up occurs is in the soap supply line to the pump. Plow Guy ma be on to something. I will investigate further this weekend.

MEP001

Reaction score
It might help if you answered the question of whether you're running hard or soft water. It's unlikely your problem is too much soap, but some soaps will calcify (or whatever the correct term is) with soap and build up quickly.

Wayne J

Reaction score
The wash has no water softener. This problem started a while back after I went from using soap from a local supplier to Simoniz Power Wash. How do I determine if the soap I am using is hard water tolerant?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that your current product isn't hard water tolerant. It should say if it is on a product usage sheet or possibly the label if the product is. Years ago almost all products were hard water tolerant because many washes did not have softeners. Today since most use soft water manufacturers can save some money by not making their products hard water tolerant.

Wayne J

Reaction score
MEP001, Thanks for pulling my head out! I suppose now I need to install a softener or change soap.