What's new

Soap Jelling like mucus...

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I fought that for years.
Switched over the high pressure soap to JBS first and added the copper and the problem never came back.
Within 2 months I switched everything over to JBS. It’s been almost 4 yrs. still no issue. No more jelling.

Last edited:

soonermajic

Reaction score
I think pretty much everyone knows not tonuse Purple Passion
That issue has been tepirted numerous times. Tjat product is just not good, especially in warm/hot weather. Another KR product, Just Peachy, works great for wqx/beading/drying, but drips green stuff which looks exactly like radiator fluid.
Purple Passion:
View attachment 2115
View attachment 2116
I

Randy

Reaction score
MEP, that tank is nasty! That’s not your tank I hope. That black stuff growing inside the tank looks like black mold, not good. We never use a plastic chemical tank, only stainless steel. We modified an AOK tank years ago and made it into a 3 compartment tank, each compartment holds about 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of chemical. I’ve found that a lot of car washes use tanks that are way too large for the application. I’ve seen a 55 gallon drum used as a chemical tank at a 3 bay car wash, they could figure why they had so many soap problems, it was mess inside the drum. KR soap products for the most part are garbage, they are all show, with no cleaning ability. We gave up on most of the there chemical products years ago.

MEP001

Reaction score
MEP, that tank is nasty! That’s not your tank I hope. That black stuff growing inside the tank looks like black mold, not good.
It's not mine, I would never have let anything get like that. The presoak hadn't been working for months because the strainer was completely clogged.
PP3.jpg
We never use a plastic chemical tank, only stainless steel.
That tank and stand was from the economy line of the equipment we sold when I worked for a distributor. That tank is 25 years old and perfectly fine. I know it looks cheap, but the separate low system stands with tank and pump plus the wall-mounted board saved about $10k over the premium tank/board assembly. FWIW I didn't mount the Flojet to the tank with stainless sheet metal screws.

Since I'm posting pictures from five years ago, here's one of a cat my girlfriend found around the same time:
Theo.jpg

Last edited:

cooll903

Reaction score
all my soap tanks are cold water. the only hot water i have is my main rinse tank that will mix at the pump. when it is being dispensed. i have not had any algae problems

brewer40312

Reaction score
I have put two pieces of copper pipe into the soap tank... I will have to wait and see. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Copper pipe does help, but is most effective to start with a clean tank. I think copper ions have an antibacterial property. I take a piece of 2" copper pipe and place it over the cylindrical strainers that coleman uses and it does a good job.

The problem is not necessarily "cheap" soap, but a soap or other product that is neutral in ph. Algae can grow in an environment where the ph is between 4 and 10, and the warm water enhances growth. This usually means the foam brush the most susceptible to growth because they are usually neutral ph. If a presoak is allowing algae to grow I'm going to wager it has very little cleaning ability. Swap to one with alkalinity and it will go away (and do a much better job cleaning cars) . When it gets cooler many products with a higher ph (presoaks and HP soaps, check the MSDS) can be used for foam brush without worry and will also clean out the foam generators. I'm going to start running a 5 gallon container through the system during cold weather every year as a "maintenance flush" of the system It will also help with cleaning of the cars.

Last edited:

brewer40312

Reaction score
Its been 14 days or so .... I had to clean out the screen again last night... So the copper pipe isnt doing the job... My soap manufacture mentioned that I may need to have some biocide added into my soap. He sent my supplier down to get a water sample and still waiting ...

Randy

Reaction score
Its been 14 days or so .... I had to clean out the screen again last night... So the copper pipe isnt doing the job... My soap manufacture mentioned that I may need to have some biocide added into my soap. He sent my supplier down to get a water sample and still waiting ...
The best way to control this is to use 1" swimming pool pellets or change soap suppliers. Who's soap are you using? What you need to do is raise the PH of your soap so the bacteria won't bloom. I have a "T" on my Hydrominder that pulls in a little Presoak in with the Foam brush soap to raise the PH of the soap a little to help it clean better.

MEP001

Reaction score
Did you clean the tank thoroughly? The copper should be enough to stop it from happening, but it won't kill it off. You'll need to clean the tank with bleach and maybe add a couple tablespoons when you first refill the tank. I still recommend getting it off the warm water which is keeping the algae comfortable and helping it grow.

Randy

Reaction score
Why are you using hot water? It's breeding ground for bacteria.The only time we had a problem with the snot was in the hot summer months, winter time no problem.

MEP001

Reaction score
Hot water will keep it from growing, he's using warm water. The first thing I did when I had this problem was to bring an old saucepan to the wash and boiled water with my plumbing torch and poured it in.

Randy

Reaction score
I guess I should have said warm water, we don't have hot water at the car wash. In the summer the equipment room will get up to 95 deg. and the soap tank temperture will get up to 90 deg. or so at night, the snot grows nice at 90 deg.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Hot water will keep it from growing, he's using warm water. The first thing I did when I had this problem was to bring an old saucepan to the wash and boiled water with my plumbing torch and poured it in.
Problem is hot water will turn into warm water over night & early morning, if it isn't recirculated from a lot of useage.

MEP001

Reaction score
Problem is hot water will turn into warm water over night & early morning, if it isn't recirculated from a lot of useage.
If the water is hot enough during the day it will kill off whatever growth there is overnight.