What's new

Soap in the Hot Water Tank

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last friday I changed out the hudson valve in my SS hot water tank.:)

A couple days later I noticed suds coming out the top of the tank's cover.:(

What could be causing this?:confused:

It seemed to clear itself up and then got sudsy again.:mad:

Gotta troubleshoot this tomorrow and need some advice on where to start!

Thanks! :D

madscientist

Reaction score
you probably have a check valve somewhere downstream that has gone bad. when this happens, the product goes backwards, into the tank from the bottom, where the water usually goes out to the pump. you'll have to follow the lines to see where the check valves are that come into contact with the lines going out (after the pump).

Randy

Reaction score
With only 2 bays it shouldn?t be too hard to trace down the problem. Check the hot water check valves on the bottom of the pump stand. You might also want to check the soap solenoid valves to make sure they aren?t stuck open.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's unlikely that your high-pressure soap would back up into the hot water tank. You may have a combination of a pump problem and a pump inlet check valve problem that is allowing tire cleaner and/or presoak to back up all the way through the high-pressure lines and into the tank.

You might taste the water next time it happens. If something is wrong with the softener and brine water is getting into the wash water, it will foam like soap.

Eric H

Reaction score
If something is wrong with the softener and brine water is getting into the wash water, it will foam like soap.
I like this one. It most resembles what I told Dave on the phone.
I've had similar problems in the past with water quality. One of our city waters supplys is right nest to the highway. In the spring when the snow melts the salt get into it and causes foaming in my pumps.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still don't understand what you mean, Eric.

Are you saying that the city water supply is salty and that is causing the foaming? There has been alot of salt dumped on the roads around here this winter!!!

Are you saying I should drink from the hot water tank?

Gulp.:confused:

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Dear Waxman:

I agree that the problem is very likely a bad check valve.

A point of clarification, if I may. By "hot water tank" I assume you meant the tank which holds the already heated water, right? There is no such thing as a "Hot water heater", right. If the water was already hot, why heat it?

Patrick H. Crowe
You might want to get it hotter, you know there is heat in 33 deg. water.

Wally

Reaction score
Waxman, without any pumps running take the outlet side loose from the soap solenoid, If anything is coming out take the solenoid apart and clean it out. I've had this happen before. You may never see the small piece of grit that causes the problem.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Is it your normal city pressure which is plumbed into your hot water tank? I'm assuming your setup is similar where you have a circulating pump between your tank and boiler, thus the output side of your hot water tank would be your normal city pressure. If so, the only way I would assume soap would be getting into it is if:

1. Bad check valve between your soap and hot water line

AND

2. Your soap pressure is greater than your city pressure

I could be totally off on the above, but that is what I was thinking when reading through this thread. If no soap is getting back up into your tank, then I would assume something else could be wrong such as your city supply, soft water system, etc..

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
Are you saying that the city water supply is salty and that is causing the foaming?
Eric is probably referring to his reclaim system. I was referring to a possible problem with your softener. The water will taste salty if it's the latter.

jprb

Reaction score
I replaced a float valve (for the rinse tank) and didn't have the right size fitting to plumb a short pipe down into the water. It keeps the water from splashing and foaming when it fills. Without the pipe, the water splashed against the tank lid (which is shared by the rinse, presoak and wax tanks) and washed the soap from the lid into the rinse tank. It bubbled (very light, but lots of volume). I added the short pipe and the problem stopped.

JPRB

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
When I read threads like this, I get out my notepad. I write down all these little nuggets of advice. I may not have the problem now, but I might in the future. I love the forum!

Waxman: Did you figure anything out, or are you too busy playing with that new tree vendor? :D

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the problem goes away then comes back.???

i am super busy with detailing right now and am working at a solution to the soapiness, but so far have not solved it ......

Eric H

Reaction score
I still don't understand what you mean, Eric.

Are you saying that the city water supply is salty and that is causing the foaming? There has been alot of salt dumped on the roads around here this winter!!!

Are you saying I should drink from the hot water tank?

Gulp.:confused:
That's exactly what I am saying. Add to that what jprb said about the lack of a down tube causing airation in the holding tank.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Eric;

How bout if YOU come and drink the water! LOL.

Problem is non-existent today, so there is really nothing to do right now on it. I will keep on it; we are due some rain this week; maybe then I will do more troubleshooting.

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
How bout if YOU come and drink the water! LOL.
You don't have to drink any water, just dip your hand in it and taste it. If it's salt and there's enough to make the water foam, it will taste salty. If it's soap, it will be too diluted to do you any harm.