What's new

Snow tire OK for summer?

Eric H

Reaction score
A little off topic but here goes...
A couple of years ago i bought a set of snow tires for my wife's van (firestone winterforce, that we LOVE) Well, her summer tires need replacing. I've been checking the web for pricing and have found the summers will cost $100-130 each. The winters cost $80 plus $60 twice a year to switch them over. So it looks like keeping the winters on all year round will save me $120 a year by not having to switch them over and the I will not have to buy $400+ in summer tires. So heres the question... Is there any reason snow tires are not a good idea to use in the warmer months? I know there will be increased wear because the rubber compounds are softer. There was no noticable difference in road noise between the snow and the summers.
Thanks, Eric

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I think the only question is how many miles will you drive till next winter, you need tread for snow.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Running winter tires in summer? careful; we may start calling you 'waxman' for your um, 'thriftyness'!:p

I'd say John is right; you don't want to wear out your Winter tires is all.

I have memories of sitting in the driveway with my Dad while we pried the metal studs out of tires so he could legally run them in warm months. Fun stuff.

There is a third option. It is called the 'all season radial'. Check out Tire Rack. Also, I have had good luck with a brand called 'Fusion Tires'.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
A little off topic but here goes...
A couple of years ago i bought a set of snow tires for my wife's van (firestone winterforce, that we LOVE) Well, her summer tires need replacing. I've been checking the web for pricing and have found the summers will cost $100-130 each. The winters cost $80 plus $60 twice a year to switch them over. So it looks like keeping the winters on all year round will save me $120 a year by not having to switch them over and the I will not have to buy $400+ in summer tires. So heres the question... Is there any reason snow tires are not a good idea to use in the warmer months? I know there will be increased wear because the rubber compounds are softer. There was no noticable difference in road noise between the snow and the summers.
Thanks, Eric
get yourself an extra set of rear rims and have the snow tires mounted on them, (one time cost) then change them yourself when needed. Also you have two extra spares if they are ever needed.

TheDoc

Reaction score
Eric,

I'm not a tire expert, but I do have years of experience with all types of tires and cars.

One, the difference in compounds is only one reason NOT to use the winter tire for Summer driving.
Two, the "sipes" are configured on most winter only treads to be perpendicular to the foward motion of the tire for more traction and stopping power. Those same tread patterns are used with a softer compound to move and grab with more surface area than that of an all season or summer tread.
Hot pavement will play a factor with soft compound tires. Ask anyone with a performance vehicle how long a performance tire (soft compound) lasts.
Robtl is correct, it is cheaper in the long run to have two sets of tires and wheels, the costs are way down over the last 5 years and make it a simple operation to swithc.
BTW, I've used a BF Goodrich Traction T/A on my wife's Odyssey with a nice Sendel Chrome alloy as my off season sneakers. Work really well, not too expensive and low noise for a van.

Good luck!

Steve S.

Eric H

Reaction score
get yourself an extra set of rear rims and have the snow tires mounted on them, (one time cost) then change them yourself when needed. Also you have two extra spares if they are ever needed.
Some genius At Pontiac decided to put 17" 6 lug wheels on my Montana. Most of the other Montanas have 17" 5 lug and the Chevy Uplander has 16" 5 lug.:mad: The Guy at the junkyard can get steel ones for $80 each but then could only locate 3. Cast Aluminum OEM are over $150 each. $150 = 4 years of switchover. Will I have this van in 4 years? Probably, 3 yrs old only one small ding on the door (knock on wood)

Doc, thanks for the info. I'm going to see if I can find pricing on those tires now.

Randy

Reaction score
Do a search on this web site you might be able to locate a couple of spare wheels.

www.car-part.com/index.htm

I?ve had spare wheels with snow/winter tires mounted on them for every car I?ve e owned in the last 20 years. It?s a waste of time and money to un-mount and remount winter tires every spring and then again in the fall. It?s a whole lot easier to just change out the wheels.