What's new

Small Parts Storage

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
How do you store small parts for your wash? If you're like me, I have very limited space at the wash and store most of my parts at home. To help keep my sanity and to help keep my small parts inventory organized, I came with this....The storage cases came from Harbor Freight and I made the shelves out of 2x4's and leftover 1/4" snap lock flooring...

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
How are you ever going to find anything in that cobbled up mess?:rolleyes: The parts need to be randomly interspersed with old parts you have removed and strewn haphazardly on your workbench so you can see what you have, not in some homemade mystery cabinet. If your wash doesn't have a workbench a bucket will do. Then you can just pour it in the floor and easily see what you have...geez.;)

MEP001

Reaction score
I have all the small parts spares I need in two of those bins - I can't imagine needing that many extras of some of those fittings.

I bought three of the clear food storage bins from Sam's that hold most of the medium-sized spare parts sorted by application, and in a corner I stacked about a dozen pails with every other lid lock cut off so they're still waterproof but much easier to remove, all full of larger parts like chunks of tubing and smaller hose, spare vac bags, claws, etc., and they're labeled. It never takes me more than a minute to find whatever I need.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
How are you ever going to find anything in that cobbled up mess?:rolleyes: The parts need to be randomly interspersed with old parts you have removed and strewn haphazardly on your workbench so you can see what you have, not in some homemade mystery cabinet. If your wash doesn't have a workbench a bucket will do. Then you can just pour it in the floor and easily see what you have...geez.;)
And to think I was doing it all wrong before I made the new storage rack?!? What was I thinking? :confused::rolleyes:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Is Harbor freight price better than the big Box Store?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of the same cases at a big box store about 10-12 years ago. Back then they were MUCH more durable than the HF cases, but I need a few more and cant seem to find the same quality. I looked at the HF ones, they just didnt seem durable enough to me, especially the latches.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of the same cases at a big box store about 10-12 years ago. Back then they were MUCH more durable than the HF cases, but I need a few more and cant seem to find the same quality. I looked at the HF ones, they just didnt seem durable enough to me, especially the latches.
I've never had any issues with the latches with the HF ones. I do have one missing a latch, but it is a Stanley...I bought it that way off a clearance rack or maybe a yard sale? There is a slight difference in design between the Stanley and HF....But not enough for the price difference.

Last edited:

pgrzes

Reaction score
Here is what we did with wiring and tubing in our attik. When I remodeled my wash I put an A frame roof over the flat roof. Love having all the space up there. We made a rack for Pipe, lumber maybe you see in background. We also have spot free water tank, a reclaim tank and a reject tank.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
check out the dewalt brand at home depot. Almost identical, but has metal latches.

mac

Reaction score
One tip I like to use when putting storage shelves on walls, is to never use a solid shelf like plywood. Use the wire shelving so that it doesn't cvollect dirt, and you can always see what's up there.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Since I don't seem to be the norm, I thought I would try to fit in! :p