What's new

Slugbuster II

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
This week I had to replace a Slugbuster II that lost its mind and start valuing quarters the same as my dollar tokens. Does anyone send these things in for repair or do you simply throw them in the trash?

Randy

Reaction score
I send mine when they go bad. Which reminds me that I've got to send one in repair. When ever I send one in I have made into the EZ model, that's the model with the door on th side. I don't recall what it costs to have one remanufactured, I know it's less than a new one.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
They are usually worth sending in. Parker Engineering offers great service. Call 1-800-752-0762 and ask for Linda. She will give you your options.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been swapping out Slugbusters to IDX MA-8's so we can take dollar coins and not "steal" from the customers. Parker will repair them, but I've just never liked them. They jam too easily and are too hard to clear (None of ours were the EZ model), and when I discovered right after we opened that they would take a $1 coin and only give one pulse, I was told "Oh, you'll have to upgrade to Slugbuster III's." Most of them have failed in the last five years, but not a single MA-8 has had a problem.

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Over the years we have shifted all of our vacs and bays to slugbuster-III's. We had MA-800's and found some in the bays would pulse the timer and reject the token (or coin) back to the customer.

We also used the multitron (beta tested them when they first came out) with a few problems but then they worked fine, but if you had to reprogram it 15 coins had to be dropped for each denomination we took. Very time consuming.

We then moved to SB-III's. They are a GOOD acceptor and very simple to program. Put a sample coin in it, give it a value and it works. We accept quarters, dollars and dollar tokens. I think all they sell are the E-Z open now so if there ever is a jam it's a simple fix.

We have Laurel vendors and they have MA-800's in them. Very rarely a problem but when it is it is a jamup. They (MA-800's) work well in a dry environment for us but if Laurel ever retrofits the vendors for SB-III's we will make that change also.

MEP001

Reaction score
Kevin Reilly said:
We have Laurel vendors and they have MA-800's in them. Very rarely a problem but when it is it is a jamup. They (MA-800's) work well in a dry environment for us but if Laurel ever retrofits the vendors for SB-III's we will make that change also.
The only jams I ever have in the Laurel vendors are from people putting dimes in them. They get caught right at the top of the chute before the acceptor, and everything backs up. I solved the problem by cutting the side of the chute open so anything smaller than a quarter will just fall out and lands on top of the coin box.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
MEP, that is a good idea. I had this happen just this past weekend and was trying to think of a solution.

Thanks!

Wally

Reaction score
Mep, that sounds like a good idea but wouldn`t some of the dimes just continue to roll on through and not fall out?

MEP001

Reaction score
Wally said:
Mep, that sounds like a good idea but wouldn`t some of the dimes just continue to roll on through and not fall out?
No, because I bent the chute to lean toward the opening I cut. It didn't take much at all since the coins need to make a slight right turn right at the beginning of the opening, and small coins just go straight out. It's difficult to tell with the cell-phone picture, but at the bottom of the opening I completely cut away any edge for about 1/4". Beyond that there is still a very small lip to make sure quarters won't fall out because of the bottom sliding off the narrow ledge. It has worked perfectly.

mikempls

Reaction score
I have a question that is some what related. We are using sluggbuster IIIs in our wash bays, and our vacs have the MA800s in them. They are both great acceptors, but we have a problem with the MA800 accepting yellow brass tokens. We use red brass tokens in our changers. Does anyone know how to solve this without changing tokens or acceptors?

MEP001

Reaction score
The MA-800 is slightly less discriminating than the Slugbuster III, and can't be fine-tuned. You can use position 1 to learn a coin that you do not want to accept, which might be a solution.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Instead of using 6 coins for programming you may try one coin 6 times. This might tighten up the window somewhat and maybe cull out the other tokens. Another thing that I am not sure can be done with the MA-800 is program the odd token at no value so the acceptor would steal it. I have done that with my older MicroCoins and it stops the flow of odd tokens quickly.

Wayne J

Reaction score
I suppose this is kind of related since my problem is with a Slugbuster II also. This thing has started making a rythmic clicking sound for no reason that I can see. It still seems to work OK. I took it out of the vac and can see a part moving in and out when the clicking is happening. Any suggestions other than replacing it. I haven't checked the supply voltage yet. Thanks, Wayne

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I suppose this is kind of related since my problem is with a Slugbuster II also. This thing has started making a rythmic clicking sound for no reason that I can see. It still seems to work OK. I took it out of the vac and can see a part moving in and out when the clicking is happening. Any suggestions other than replacing it. I haven't checked the supply voltage yet. Thanks, Wayne

My experience with this is something is stuck in it. (But mine don't work when it does this.) If it is not an easy open you will need to either take it apart to clean it or try a Hacksaw blade thu the coun path to clear any debris.

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
Another thing that I am not sure can be done with the MA-800 is program the odd token at no value so the acceptor would steal it.
A good idea - that should stop them from trying the tokens more than once.

MEP001

Reaction score
WayneJ said:
This thing has started making a rythmic clicking sound for no reason that I can see.
If the coin path is clear, the acceptor is bad. They can repair it. Take it out of service before it burns up the coil - they charge for repairs based on the parts and labor it requires.