What's new

Sludge Sucker

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
It works, but you can't just throw it in the mud and have it pull it out. It gets the soft stuff on top pretty well, but the compacted stuff lower down needs to be knocked loose with water. I'm actually going to order another to clean out the sand trap at a wash. I'll try to remember to get some video.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Does the suction increase with the amount of pressure?

SparklesSS

Reaction score
It works, but you can't just throw it in the mud and have it pull it out. It gets the soft stuff on top pretty well, but the compacted stuff lower down needs to be knocked loose with water. I'm actually going to order another to clean out the sand trap at a wash. I'll try to remember to get some video.
That would be greatly appreciated!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We have in the distant past transferred mud from one pit to another with the Suttner Version of the sludge sucker. Why ... some of our pits have more capacity & it saved on the pit pumper cost since he charges per visit. MEP001 is correct in his description of its use.

Randy

Reaction score
The problem we had with it was it wouldn't push the sludge very far, it kept getting plugged up. Here's a fun video
Buy one and tell us how well it works for you. You can get the Suttner ST-36 Sludge pump for around $50 on EBay

MEP001

Reaction score
No, it won't lift it very high. You need a solids pump for that. They're around $3000.

MEP001

Reaction score
Does the suction increase with the amount of pressure?
It's basically 10:1 with the flow, and flow increases with pressure, I don't know if the generated suction power increases but I'm sure the amount of lift will.

SparklesSS

Reaction score
No, it won't lift it very high. You need a solids pump for that. They're around $3000.
We have shallow SS pits. We usually try to clean them once a month. Right now we use a shovel and wheelbarrow. Any recommendations on a pump or method to save my back?

MEP001

Reaction score
Most of the guys I know pay someone to do it. The sludge pump will lift it a decent ways, but it needs to be very liquid. I used to use one to empty a sand trap that was out in the parking lot and a good twelve feet deep and it was able to lift it, but it really took a lot of water to break it up.

Bud's

Reaction score
I tried taking a gas powered post auger and made a PVC sleeve over three auger sections with a tee at the top.
I augers dry dirt up the pipe just fine, but it gets jammed up with the muddy wet material.

So basically I'm still trying to make it work!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The last time I had my pits cleaned they used a crustbuster. He was able to suck out without adding any water to the pit

MEP001

Reaction score

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score