What's new

Simple weep reclaim setup

dusovt

Reaction score
I am looking to setup reclaim for my weep system this year. I am already capturing the water to a tank, just not pumping it back out. My question is what setups have people used - specifically the low pressure pump and how to protect it when the pump fails..

any input is appreciated!

-chris-

mikeexpress

Reaction score
I have a weep reclaim on my bays and inbay autos. On the bays i use a3/4 hp shallow well pump purchased at lowes.also on the line is an alarm that if the pressure goes below 20psi the alarm will call. Also on the line if the pump or electric fails i have a dema solenoid that i can un plug and run city water to get by. I also run the weep water thru a home style 40 gallon water heater.In my holding tank for the reclaim is a fresh water float fill if the water gets low it will fill and not let the pump run dry. I have a 6 bay for the 3/4 pump and my 2 autos are on a 1hp pump so i can get the volume to the autos.you will have to put a filter on the pump suction side and also on the pump out going side. in the real cold times you will need to clean the outgoing filter a couple times a day.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
For pressure, I use a procon pump to fill a bladder tank.
Never had a failure, so other than annual preventive maintenance I've never worried about it. I do have a bypass plumbed in so I could use either hot or cold city water, but that requires a manual switchover. Adding a n.o. solenoid has been on my list for years, but you know how that goes - I wont add one until the power goes out and I freeze up.

Yes, you definitely need a fresh water fill valve in the recycle tank, customers are always leaving the wand on the floor so the weep water goes down the drain.

dusovt

Reaction score
Thanks for the info; couple follow up questions for mikesexpress - what sort of filter are you using? Like a strainer type that is used on the entrance to a HP pump? Why do you run it through a water heater? - are you actually heating weep water?

Thanks again,

-chris-

mikeexpress

Reaction score
I use a inline sink type water filter that has a filter about 1in by 4in. it does have about a 5 micron filter that i take off and wrap it with a door screen to get a little more volume thru it. I do heat the weep water (reclaim) thru a heater,I heat it so i use lees volume of water running thru the hose. You want to make sure you have a big bladder tank so pump will not run all the time and youll keep the volume and pressure more steady. my inbays are also on a recaim system and hooked up to a weepmizer.the recaim system on my bays has been in since 1987 and the autos have been in since about 2005.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
We use shallow well pump and pressure tank. The reclaim runs through 1 inch solenoid which is opened based on how we program our Mk VII. The reclaim tank takes weep, rain water, and RO reject. The standard pressure switch will not restart pump if pressure falls below 20 psig.If water goes low. the check valve in our on board gravity fed tank opens and feeds pump. We have found combo of use so reclaim tank rarely gets too low but most reclaim water is used.

Ted

MEP001

Reaction score
I might recommend a Flojet for one main reason: if the power fails for a short time, the weep will continue to flow since the compressor tank has a large storage.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Thanks for the info; couple follow up questions for mikesexpress - what sort of filter are you using? Like a strainer type that is used on the entrance to a HP pump?
I'm not mike, but I'll reply anyway :D
I dont have a filter, but I dont draw water from the bottom of the tank. I suspend the hose about 6 - 8 " above the bottom and have a big foot valve on it. I figure that eliminates a lot of the sediment & junk (which I do vacuum out every fall as part of my winterizing process.)