What's new

simple sign

JustClean

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have signs of what to do and what not. As we all know the more there is written, the less it gets read. I've come up with 3 rules that sums it all up and was wondering what you thought.

That's the sign I want to make
---------------------------------

Please:

1. Leave the bay as you found it ...clean!

2. Use of bay ONLY while meter is running

3. If it's not a normal car wash - it's not permitted!

---------------------------------

Below every rule there is a very small explanation in case somebody might not understand.
1. Everyone deserves a clean bay - please hose down your dirt into the pit.
2. We don't encourage bucket washing or detailing in our bays; however, if you do so, the meter has to run at all times.
3. NO BBQ,s, oil & grease, machinery, paint, landscaping debris,
concrete, etc. - If in doubt please call [this number].

Do you think this is too tough? (...as you can see I just had a mudder) ;)

Thanks a lot and cheers JustClean

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Of course you know they don't read signs. Are you that busy to not allow bucket washing? I have alot of great customers that wash quite often that way. I myself would rather have the OCD type washing with a bucket than the muddy ones, or messy paper throwers, or others. A customer that only spends one cycle with a bucket, is just a good as a customer that spends one cycle without, or better than one that leaves a mess. Maybe for me with 6 or 8 bay washes, i always have a bay open..

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
As we all know the more there is written, the less it gets read.
I disagree. But that's not what you asked about, so...

3. If it's not a normal car wash - it's not permitted!
"Yeah, this car wash ISNT normal, it should be closed down!" :p
I think this is confusing. I dont have an alternative at the moment, but I think you're trying to target passenger vehicles, right? My thoughts on this run something like "This is a car wash, not the local rent-a-pressure-washer-and-dump-your-mess-on-somebody-else business. Passenger vehicles only please."

3. NO BBQ,s, oil & grease, machinery, paint, landscaping debris,
concrete, etc. - If in doubt please call [this number].
I dont think the "if in doubt please call" part. IMO none of your customers will ever be in doubt, and you wont get any calls.

Do you think this is too tough?
Nope.
But you will find that there are 2 camps on this topic - those who will take any quarters that a customer brings in, and those (like me) who dont tolerate the occasional a-h, $ isnt important enough to me, life is too short. My philosophy is to be clear and strong on the rules. Lots of threads on that topic, search, read, & decide exactly how tough you want to be. Then set your wording to match.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm from the "I'll take all I can get" camp.

I have met Paul and he's a great guy and runs a quality wash.

I am a new operator (relatively) with lots of bills and I need the revenue from customers who wash 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, trash pumps, washing machines, fridges, etc.

We are here all day most days and we clean up the messes. If it's less than 1 cycle worth of time to clean it, it is a non-issue for me.

After all, part of what I feel I do is provide a proper alternative to washing outdoors and letting the runoff enter groundwater directly.

IMO, not enough car wash owners focus on this fact and it is an important one; preserving and protecting our water supply!

If it means I have to clean up after some scuzzy washing goes on, fine with me. I get the revenue and the local water supply is respected.

You just have to know that if we all ban every type of non-car washing in the SS bays these folks will just do it wherever they can (the water will most likely go right into the ground).

JustClean

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Paul, you are right - two camps. I also belong to the one that won't accept mudders that can't clean up. Anyway, I will put the signs up (maybe a bit modified) and will also raise my prices between 10-20% starting 1st of July. BTW our dogwash has a really high start-up price and almost NOBODY leaves the dog wash dirty. They clean up because they have time to clean.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Paul, you are right - two camps. I also belong to the one that won't accept mudders that can't clean up. Anyway, I will put the signs up (maybe a bit modified) and will also raise my prices between 10-20% starting 1st of July. BTW our dogwash has a really high start-up price and almost NOBODY leaves the dog wash dirty. They clean up because they have time to clean.
Define: "really high startup price", please.