What's new

Sign Share

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
For years we have supported our local Humane Society (my wife was president and has considerable influence on me). While preparing for our Veterans day free washes, it dawned on me how much unused time is available on our reader board. I told my wife that if the Humane Societly was interested, they could buy their own set of letters and use our board--no prelanning necessary--If they see board is not in use, they can put their own message up and if it interferes with our plans we will remove message and advise them so they can pick up letters and repost later

This will take no work on our part, ensure some on going community messages, and get good PR. My wife thinks I am brilliant and the Humane Society is thrilled. In our little town, more people see and read our reader board than the local newspaper. When my wife is happy I am very happy

Ted.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You have a liability issue if nthey get hurt posting or removing letters, or if a leter comes off and injures someone or damages something. I suggest you do the removal whenyou put up the other message and repost when the other message is gone.

MEP001

Reaction score
I like the idea of letting them use your "unused" time, but I agree with Earl, either change the sign for them or just post something that raises awareness for them, like "Save a life, adopt a pet." They have quite a few simple slogans. They likely won't want to come out and change the letters themselves.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
I agree that if we get up in the morning, we have liability issues but I am too old to allow scumbag lawyers to divert me from doing the right thing. They are anxious to post, are good people and do not need to climb or bend to access sign. Yes there is some risk--so beit.

Ted

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I agree that if we get up in the morning, we have liability issues but I am too old to allow scumbag lawyers to divert me from doing the right thing. They are anxious to post, are good people and do not need to climb or bend to access sign. Yes there is some risk--so beit.

Ted
Scumbag lawyers aside, I was thinking along the line of concern for the safety of all involved. If you are as confident in their abilities as in your own or those of your people, then you have made an informed decision.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
Update on sign share--the Humane Society finally did purchase their letters--last week they posted two dogs giving breed and name--both were adopted before week was out. We just made same deal with 4 H--they will use the other side of sign. Interesting that this may be more effective than local newspaper.

Ted

Hmmmmm- maybe throw in free top wash with each adoption as appreciation.

soapy

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a large digital sign board at one location that has 40K plus traffic each day. I asked the sign company guy about selling advertising on it to other businesses. He said that when you do that you fall under billboard policy and would likely be declined a permit for it. ALso I could expect to hear from the billboard companies since it is in direct competition to them. Billboard companies will put up a very agressive fight he said. With just plastic letters on a sign board you probably won't ruffle too many feathers.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO if you didn't charge them to do it, you would also be safe. In one of the cities here, YOUR sign has to be on your property, so you couldn't advertise another business, just non-profits.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
A wash not far from here came to visit to get ideas on installing a new auto. At same time they added large programable sign that the sign guy told them would be a real money maker for paid ads. That was 6 years ago and I have never seen an ad---just the ole 'Happy Birthday" Cindy, congrats to Pearlie and Herman on their new baby, etc.

Imagine that, a salesman who exaggerated income potential if his product.

Ted