What's new

Side washers, top driven or bottom driven?

DixieCarWash

Reaction score
So this is something I've been curious about. Thought I'd get a poll going.

I'm talking about side washers like rockers and high sides.

Sometimes they're top driven where the motor and side arm are above the washer like those Belanger makes.

Or the bottom driven versions where the motor and side arm are closer to the floor and allow rockers to be installed under mitters like those Peco makes.

dewey9876

I CLN CAZ
Reaction score
Just for maintenance purposes top driven is much much easier

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you put them near or under a mitter there is less issue with mitter cloth getting tangled in the shagt . motor / coupling for the bottom drives.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
IMO, bottom mounted looks cleaner and gives a better image to the customer.

DixieCarWash

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I too like the bottom driven. Back when we had the top driven at the wash I worked at they were full of problems. Hydraulic leaks sending fluid all over the wash material the weight balence was hard on the shocks. If the shocks went out the brush would start to bounce resulting in damages to mirrors. They take up more space and like Jeff stated they don't look as good. Many customers don't like the metal and mechanical too close to the windows. Here in a few years I hope to build some equipment. This is great info.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Electric top drives are the best. Bottom drives can be very fun to work on.......