What's new

Shutting off card reader

edredtop

Reaction score
The only ones that can’t figure it out are screwed forever anyhow…
..but they can make for a miserable experience when you have to deal with them.
I'm beginning to think count-down is the way to go with a high pre-auth ($20).

OurTown

Reaction score
We have a $20 pre-auth at 1 location and ts still not enough for some people, we have people using their cards multiple times to wash their cars.

Oh yeah, we have many that go over that amount but the vast majority are way below. We have lowered ours to only $5 and still people complain about it charging that when they only used one $2 vac cycle. Higher income areas may not have as many issues with that higher pre auth as they don't watch their bank accounts like a hawk. We have quite the range of incomes from lowish to upper middle.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
For many years I have figure out the average spent for the end of the year.
Let say the average at the end of the year was $8.93.
I would increase what I call the stop gate to say $9.67.
Last year was $14.73.
For me keeping the stop gate an odd number has helped ALOT.
Hardly had an issue from customers.

Saying all this my son this year raised it to $20.00 ….Go figure, lol

Keno

Reaction score
Oh yeah, we have many that go over that amount but the vast majority are way below. We have lowered ours to only $5 and still people complain about it charging that when they only used one $2 vac cycle. Higher income areas may not have as many issues with that higher pre auth as they don't watch their bank accounts like a hawk. We have quite the range of incomes from lowish to upper middle.
Are you on Crypto? Nayax works a little different I think, it won't allow the transaction to go over the pre-auth amount, so at the pre-auth sets the max transaction $

Mattwash

Reaction score
For my vacuums, they are set at countdown. $2 charge. No other options. I will say half of my vacuum cc customers swipe twice. My wash bays are the only ones with $20 preauth count up.

Mattwash

Reaction score
For many years I have figure out the average spent for the end of the year.
Let say the average at the end of the year was $8.93.
I would increase what I call the stop gate to say $9.67.
Last year was $14.73.
For me keeping the stop gate an odd number has helped ALOT.
Hardly had an issue from customers.

Saying all this my son this year raised it to $20.00 ….Go figure, lol
You must have a lot of high income customers for the average price to be around $15. Very impressive wash!

OurTown

Reaction score
Are you on Crypto? Nayax works a little different I think, it won't allow the transaction to go over the pre-auth amount, so at the pre-auth sets the max transaction $
Yes. Cryptopay. On Nayax if someone "swiped" a second time would it show an additional pre-auth on their account? If so then that may seriously aggravate customers. Maybe it settles the transaction right away but that would not allow combined tickets on our end to save on processing fees.

Keno

Reaction score
Yes. Cryptopay. On Nayax if someone "swiped" a second time would it show an additional pre-auth on their account? If so then that may seriously aggravate customers. Maybe it settles the transaction right away but that would not allow combined tickets on our end to save on processing fees.
Yes, it will pre-auth the full amount again - usually customers that swipe twice are on the higher income side and doesn't effect them as much. Pre-auth is only for count-up. If the amount is known - like the $2 vacuum Mattwash mentioned - it is just a straight $2 charge without pre-auth.

Keno

Reaction score
For my vacuums, they are set at countdown. $2 charge. No other options. I will say half of my vacuum cc customers swipe twice. My wash bays are the only ones with $20 preauth count up.
This is exactly our setup. We don't get many repeats on vac though. How many minutes do you give for $2? We are $2 for 6 mins vac or 3 mins shampoo or 1 min fragrance

Mattwash

Reaction score
It will aggravate some customers. In May I changed my preauth to $20, I’ve had over 1000 swipes and 11 people have reached out to me via the google number I’ve provided for complaints/concerns. I changed my sign in the middle of August and posted it on my Google Profile. Not once have I had someone reach out since then.

Attachments

jdelo719

Reaction score
@Mattwash Where did you get your signs made? Online? I ask as I have switched over to card and the biggest complaint I have received is the Pre Authorization, but I also like the detail on it to tell them to push stop. Thanks!

Mattwash

Reaction score
@Mattwash Where did you get your signs made? Online? I ask as I have switched over to card and the biggest complaint I have received is the Pre Authorization, but I also like the detail on it to tell them to push stop. Thanks!
On the website Custom signs.com

I configured them myself and had it made. Also had some others using vistaprint, which their website seems to be more friendly if trying to make it from your phone.