What's new

Shutting off card reader

Wash Grunt

Reaction score
We have Cryptopay card readers in our self serve bays. Customers are required to push the flashing green button on the reader when they are finished to stop the charges. We have signs posted near the panel, however, some customers fail to read it resulting in being overcharged. We are interested in what others who use Cryptopay do in their self serve bays.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If you have a dixmor timer you can program the dispay to scroll "push the button to stop the wash" or something similar.

I've been meaning to make a simple video and post QR codes at the devices for people that need more instructions. Just haven't gotten around to it.

OurTown

Reaction score
We have signs right next to the swiper with simple instructions. We have the custom scrolling message on our Dixmor LED6 "Tap Flashing Button To Stop". These measures only work for people that have brains. We have explained in person so many times how it works and they still leave it running when they leave. It's frightening how stupid some people are. Our new plan is to disable the button and add a larger button somewhere to tap when done. Our thoughts are to make it look different than the other washes that use the same swiper in count down mode. Will the new Cryptopay tap only unit have a stop button on it?

Wash Grunt

Reaction score
We have Gin San panels. No idea what type of timer it is. Thinking of making larger warning type signs to hang above the panels. Getting tired of dealing with pissed off customers that fail to read instructions, then accuse the car wash of ripping them off. The majority of them get it right.

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
I Run count down vs count up. I do make it be a higher start amount though. I have a $6 minumum. That eliminates the goof balls that cant read and think you over charged them. If they push the button they add time, i make them add the time in $1 increments vs .25.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I Run count up vs count down I do make it be a higher start amount though. I have a $6 minumum. That eliminates the goof balls that cant read and think you over charged them. If they push the button they add time, i make them add the time in $1 increments vs .25.
I think you might be confused. You can't run count-up and have the button add time.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
We have a $3 minimum (4 minutes) with a $15 max CC cut off.

We had these stickers made, not sure if it helps, but at least we can say we tried….

Trophies for Everyone!
I'm frustrated that customers don't read and have no common sense. Signs do help. While they may not read them, they cover your ASS! I take a photo and when customers text me to complain, I apologize, patiently explain how it works and text them the photo! 🤪

Mattwash

Reaction score
I have had similar issues and customers would keep leaving bad google reviews. Kept changing up my sign with instructions. It’s been a month since my last modification and no calls/texts.

Attachments

OurTown

Reaction score
I have had similar issues and customers would keep leaving bad google reviews. Kept changing up my sign with instructions. It’s been a month since my last modification and no calls/texts.

A $20 pre auth? I could not imagine the amount of bad Google reviews if we did that.

Mattwash

Reaction score
A $20 pre auth? I could not imagine the amount of bad Google reviews if we did that.
I initially started out at $10. However, shortly after was surprised how many people told me they wanted it to be longer so they didn’t have to swipe again. But when I explained the initial “charge” is only a preauth, it will correct the next day. They are usually ok with it.

I filled up my truck at the pump last week, it had a $250 preauthorization (2023 f150 ecoboost). If I was in California, this would be normal, but in Texas it cost me $130 for a tank of premium fuel.

I’ve had a handful of customers tell me $3 to start is too expensive. I proceed to tell them the only other SS nearby charges $4.25 and it’s impossible to think I could stay in business without raising prices when you look at CPI over the last 30 years.

OurTown

Reaction score
I initially started out at $10. However, shortly after was surprised how many people told me they wanted it to be longer so they didn’t have to swipe again. But when I explained the initial “charge” is only a preauth, it will correct the next day. They are usually ok with it.
The max per swipe on each swiper is different than the pre auth which is site wide.

Zal

Reaction score
I changed the rotary switch to indicate "PAUSE" instead of "STOP" then added a sticker saying
"PRESS STOP BUTTON TO STOP FURTHER CHARGES TO YOUR CARD
$3.00 MINIMUM "
Only had one complaint since doing this over 2 years now

Mattwash

Reaction score
I changed the rotary switch to indicate "PAUSE" instead of "STOP" then added a sticker saying
"PRESS STOP BUTTON TO STOP FURTHER CHARGES TO YOUR CARD
$3.00 MINIMUM "
Only had one complaint since doing this over 2 years now
I like the idea of “Pause”