What's new

Shut down by the City for environmental concerns

Randy

Reaction score
Yesterday I got a panic phone call from a follow car wash operator in the next town over. The city came out about 2 weeks ago and inspected his storm water catch basins, they were about ¾ full of debris. The storm water catch basins empty into the storm water system in the street and then eventfully empties into the pristine waters of Puget Sound. The city and the state take the maintenance of this system very seriously. Yesterday the city inspectors came back to see if he’d cleaned out the catch basins. They found a bright green liquid in both catch basins which appeared to be anti-freeze. The car wash owner said its Tire/engine cleaner, showed them the container and showed them the bright green pit water in one of the bays that someone had used the tire cleaner. How the green tire cleaner got into storm water catch basin is anyone guess. The city inspectors took water samples of the green liquid for testing. He’s got a meeting this afternoon with the city and state environmental people. This is the third time that I’ve seen a car wash operator on the hot seat for using colored chemical products. More to come

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Yet they don't give a crap when someone is washing their car in their driveway with the exact same chemical and washing it all into the storm drain. Same with "charity car washes".

Robert2181

Reaction score
Hopefully the product he uses is bio-degradable, if so, he should have no problem after there test.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Some years had a similar issue. Product was yellow on the car but seemingly turned green when it it the car. I think this hd to do with it mixing with other colors. Simplest solution was to go to a different color.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
The car wash owner said its Tire/engine cleaner, showed them the container and showed them the bright green pit water in one of the bays that someone had used the tire cleaner.
I don't think I would have done that. But I don't know all the circumstances.

Kevin James

Reaction score
It can get pretty dicey when your dealing with the state environmental nerds. They don't seem to think like most normal people.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Some years had a similar issue. Product was yellow on the car but seemingly turned green when it it the car. I think this hd to do with it mixing with other colors. Simplest solution was to go to a different color.
That's what happens to "Just Peachy" from Kleen-Rite. It would be a great product, if not for that. It works great & has a great smell, but dang the customers notice that "anti-freeze" look & COMPLAIN!