What's new

Should I sell quarters in my vendor for laundry?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Those of you that have been around for a while are familiar with my past issues I was having with the local apartment complexes using my car wash to get laundry money. After dealing with several hundred dollars being dispensed from my changers each weekend, I made the switch to dollar coins.

After about a year, I had an idea. What if I (as an example) were to take $4.50 in quarters and put them in my vendor and sell for say $5? Do you guys think I'm just asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance...

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Asking for trouble IMO. I see two problems. If you stiffed me on purpose for 50 cents I would be pist. No one charges for change and I see no benefit in you being first. Another reason would letting everyone know your machine has thousands of dollars worth of cash inside to steal. Don't do it.

Last edited:

washme1

Reaction score
Like you, I have many apartments in the vicinity of my car wash. I solved most of the problem by including a $1 token with every denomination of $5 dispensed. That way, if they are a customer, there should be no issue with a token they will use immediately or the next visit. If they are not a customer, they will either become one or I just sold a $1 token that cost me about a quarter. I receive a call once every few months. If I am at home, I go to my cameras while on the call. If I notice they are parked in front of the equipment room instead of a bay, I know they are there just for change. I always ask if they are washing their car today. When I realize they are not, I refer them to the 12x12 sign above the changers stating, "these machines dispense quarters AND tokens. I do have several who come with a fist full of ones to get all quarters but the profit on the missing tokens more than makes up for it. Like IB WASHING CARS, I think you're asking for trouble vending them.

soapy

Reaction score
I added a mix of tokens to the quarters I dispense. About 25% mix of tokens with quarters. If they get quarters from me they also have to use the wash.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Good enough for me, I just wanted to have some other opinions before I nixed the idea...

I don't worry about it now since I dispense dollar coins...just a thought on a little extra revenue :)

teamplex65

Reaction score
interesting idea soapy to just throw in some tokens with your changer. we lose the occasional 10's and 20's from laundry and bars needing change for pool tables and jukebox.