What's new

Should I buy a traditional Carbon Filter or New Cartidge Filter?

WikiWash

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

I need to get a new Carbon filter for my RO machine to take out the chlorine before it gets to my membranes. Should I go with the traditional Carbon Filter with backwash system or go with a cartridge style filter? This setup would be for my 3 automatic bays. Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
Carbon filter, they last years. You'll spend a lot more on cartridges as you will have to change them frequently.

mac

Reaction score
If you already have a carbon prefilter and the mechanics still work, you can get the carbon and gravel for around a hundred bucks. It's a little messy, but you can remove all of the old and rinse the tank, put the center pipe back in with tape over the top, put in about 6-8 inches of gravel, and fill the tank with carbon about two thirds full.Then, and this is really important, take the discharge hose off the tank and let water run through it for about 10 minutes to flush the carbon dust. You just saved about $600.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've seen guys that change the carbon, hook it back up, purge the air and leave the customer a prefilter and tell them to change it in a week. A 5 micron prefilter should catch the carbon - even when I've flushed the carbon filter thoroughly the prefilter comes out black the next change anyway.