What's new

Should Automatic Water Be Heated

sparkey

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on heating the rinse water on an automatic wash? My presoak is heated, but I am currently running no heat on my automatic rinse water. I did run heat on the rinse water in the winter but I am not sure if its necessary. If the rinse water is just to remove already loosened dirt does it need to be heated?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
On our rinse we use cold and unsoftened water-it works well and saves alot of salt and energy.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, I know that things clean better with warm water, but in my experiments I found hot water alone does not remove road film. You need to do some math on heating your wash water. The last numbers I saw done by another person was almost 1.00/ car. I would rather use that money for better chemistry.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I personally heat all my chemicals and rinse with cold/room temp water.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I heat soaps only...but all my water is softened. I'm questioning the idea of softened water for rinse.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Hard water rinses better than soft. Should do a hard water rinse followed by spot free for best results.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I use soft, de-chlorinated for my rinse in the autos. However, don't go thinking I spend all the money to make it that way. Instead of sending all my waste water from my RO creation process down the drain, I store it in 55gal drums upstairs and feed it to my autos for rinse. Why not? It's softened, ran through a charcoal filter, thus it is cleaner than what the city is feeding me! Oh, and it also adds a flavor of being 'green'.

MEP001

Reaction score
bigleo48 said:
I heat soaps only...but all my water is softened. I'm questioning the idea of softened water for rinse.
I have been too, but I'd have to come up with a reliable way to switch between hard and soft water for the pump.