What's new

Shoes that stand up to car washes??

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
Does anyone else have issues with their shoes wearing out quick from working in a corrosive environment like the car washes?? Mine seem to last about 4/6 months before the glue holding the soles on fails and the wash chemicals even start to eat away the leather material. Does anyone else deal with this? Or have solutions like some brand of chemical resistant boot? I think I deal with it because working in a tunnel where we prep cars my shoes are always wet with soapy water. Then there is the dripping of everything, wheel cleaner, etc.... it seems to take a toll on my foot wear!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LL Bean Cresta hiker.

mine stay good and waterproof for about a year-year and a half. Then I get a new pair.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Redback Boots are made in Australia the soles are the most chemical resistant in my personal experience at the washes wearing them everyday has been awesome.

New Washdog

Reaction score
I can vouch for Merrells lasting about a year to a year and a half. Just bought a replacement about a month ago and chose Merrells.

MEP001

Reaction score
I generally wear waterproof full-grain leather leather hiking boots and apply neatsfoot oil to them. A $70 pair of Magellan shoes will last me well over a year and stay waterproof. I walk at least 10 miles a day around car washes every day.

Eric H

Reaction score
Are these the Merrell's that everyone is talking about? Mine still look great after about 7 months but they aren't as waterproof as I would like...and certainly not very good for a New England winter!

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
Glad I’m not the only one having shoe issues.... lol. I just can’t see myself having any luck with a suede leather. I have been buying Walmart brand hiking boots, Ozark trail all leather. But they changed the style to a leather mesh now that’s not as good. I used to buy those because at 3 pairs per year they were cheap, I think $40 each. And I’m willing to spend more but want to make sure I get something “chemical resistant” maybe. But even that usually means oil resistant not acids....

Etowah

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
The ones I linked above. I will say that the grip is phenomenal and has withstood both bleach and Kleen Wall and still clean up nice.

Damoni88

Reaction score
Make sure the merrell shoes say gortex and those are completely waterproof and slip resistant.

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to warranty return/repair shoes before? I know ll bean for example is 1 year, but would that cover the sole seperating from the shoe? Which is what happens to my current shoes, im assuming from the glue disolving, or do they prorate returns? Or do they repair them? Is it worth paying more for an ll bean because of the warranty?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I've returned a couple of pairs of "Waterproof" shoes, because they weren't waterproof. After numerous pairs of "Waterproof" shoes, I just gave up on them actually being waterproof. If I find something I like, I just buy two pairs and change them during the day.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I keep a pair of rubber boots for when I know I will be in a bit more water overspray etc. Also I keep a spare pair quality water deflecting tennis shoes along with a spare pair of wick away type of socks. Wintertime the socks get heavier or are doubled up. Us older 65+ people have to face up to the fact that we can be more physically fragile.

When I was in my twenties I would buy some "very expensive waterproof Red Wing quick on off zip up" boots for the car wash. Even with me diligently regularly applying Red Wing's special recommended "silicone based oiling" which was required for 100% waterproofing... they still eventually developed fissures in their high quality silicone impregnated leather. If I remember right ... I did get several years out of them though!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Pretty Happy with my Keens except the sole wears out quickly. Usually within 4-6 months my feet start hurting. When I swap to new shoes the problem goes away. I just ordered some of the Merrells to try.

I usually keep at least two pairs on hand. When I first get them they are assigned to be my off duty/ casual dress shoes. Then they get rotated to standard work duty. When they start hurting I then finally assign them grass cutting/pit mess duty before they are disposed. So at any one time I have two or three pairs of the same shoe for different activities.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Greg & others,

I forgot to mention that we are fortunate to have a local shoe repair shop where I would get the Red Wing's bottom sole replaced as good as new. That explains along with the Red Wing recommended siliconing treatment ... the reason why they were lasting several years. I am not sure if they make that specific zip &/or lace boots based on a quick Internet Search. Maybe their replacement is even better ... it seems like they are using a waterproof membrane with some boots these days.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
ECCO MENS TRACK 25 HIGh
They are the best waterproof boots I’ve ever worn. I wear them every day and they last at least 2 yrs. I still have my original ones that are 7-8 yrs. old. I use them at home doing yard work.
They are expensive but they last.
The tennis shoes are great too.

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, and while we are on the subject of clothes, I want to buy the employees good winter jackets this year but they prep cars in the tunnel all day long so will be wet a lot of the time and need to withstand the same conditions as the shoes do.

What does everyone else use? I want to be able to embroider them also. I am not sure if they should be hooded or not as we have hooded sweatshirts already they can wear underneath.