What's new

Setting up a weep recycle system

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I would like to set up a system to recycle my weep water but I can't figure out a way to do this since my washes were built years ago.
One wash I have the gun waste water running into a pvc pipe then into the pits.
The other wash has the water just running onto the floor.
Has anyone designed a recycle weep system in bays that are already built?
Without breaking up concrete floors and plumbing in a system?
This would save us all A LOT of money on water and sewer bills.
Any ideas?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
At this point a bit more expensive, but what about a "sump pump", like on your heat pump at home, build a low profile "holding tank" in each bay, with a pump in each one and run the hose back to the "tank" that you are drawing from.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I was thinking of something similiar. Just not sure if it will work.
Changing my gun holder angle, shooting it into a tank connected on the wall, then setting up a sump pump type system back into the boom.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
the sump pump idea - dont forget that you need a refill line because the holding tank will get emptied fairly quickly by the weep washers.

My water/sewer bills are so high that if I didnt have a weep recycle, I would either install a different system (blow down or heated or something), or I would bite the bullet and cut the concrete to plumb in a weep recycle system.

Dirtychuck

Reaction score
I bought the supplies for doing something very similar to what you are describing a week ago, but haven't found time to hook up yet... I won't be able to get to this for another week, but hopefully can work on this project and get it running by first of February.

Here's what I'm planning to do:

I have a 2 bay wash with the utility room in the middle of the bays so my layout is perfect for adding weep collection. I'm planning on moving my gun holders up a few inches and drilling a 3/4" hole thru mortar joint about 2' off of the floor and running a piece of 3/4" copper thru the block--copper pipe fits perfectly into the existing hole in the bottom of my gun holders. Connect copper pipe to hose and it will run into a 5 gallon pail w/ a sump pump. The sump pump and discharge check valve will pump into a 100 gallon holding tank that I had laying around. The holding tank will have an overflow to drain plus a float valve for makeup. I bought a shallow well jet pump/pressure tank combo to pump water and maintain a fairly constant pressure to the weep line to the bays. I've also got a strainer to put just after the jet pump to hopefully keep any debris from clogging up the weep line.

My R.O. system is next to where I plan on placing holding tank so I'm going to run the RO waste water into holding tank for additional makeup and will overflow to drain.

I shopped around and have about $400 invested in parts so far. This is a little less than last years water/sewer costs for weep so I should have about a 1 yr payback when factoring electricity to run pumps into the equation.

What do you think--will this work?

Eric H

Reaction score
Chuck , The better way to do it (IMO) is to run the weeps in to a tank then have the shallow well pump mounted just above it so that the pump pulls the water from the recovery tank. Doing it this way saves you from having to use the sump pump to get the water to a holding tank.

Then pipe the shallow well pump into a tee with the city water just before the NO weep valve. The city water needs a pressure regulator (Watts U5B) adjusted to just below what you set the pump to turn on at. This way if the power goes out the weep will switch to city water and keep you from freezing up. If you put a float switch in the recovery tank it will keep the pump from running dry and will allow the city water to fill the tank (thru the guns) when a customer washes with the weep or leaves the gun on the floor.

You could also run a few loops of floor heat thru the tank if you want to heat the weep but I have found that really is not nessesary.

bigleo48

Reaction score
So what do you do with the dirt & detergents from the wands that gets into the reclaimed weep water. I figure your tips will plug, the check valves will get stuck with the grit flowing through them and the customer will get a blast of soap & wax before his selection bleeds through.

My 2 cents...

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
So what do you do with the dirt & detergents from the wands that gets into the reclaimed weep water. I figure your tips will plug, the check valves will get stuck with the grit flowing through them and the customer will get a blast of soap & wax before his selection bleeds through.

My 2 cents...
Why would the soap or wax clog up the check valve or anything?
There has to be a way to design a holding tank against the wall that would not be obstrusive. Any debris hopefully would settle in the bottom before the weep water is recirculated thru the gun. I'm sure there is a better way.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Another issue that needs to be dealt with, is the water in the "holding tank" not being allowed to freeze, so if leave the water there for any time you might have a problem.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
You're right I hadn't thought about that.
Maybe tap into the bottom of the gun holder, run the line along the ceiling and pump the water back into the equipment room where the holding tank would be.
That way I could have a float valve in the tank if it gets low of water to refill it and a overflow drain in case it gets to full.
I'm sure I'm missing something though.