What's new

Self Serve with 4 bays and 1 express

AVP20

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a self serve with one express bay in Southern California. In the vicinity there is a competitor a few miles away doing express washes and opening up a few more locations; not within 2-3 miles of subject property. Would it be a better business strategy to keep, remodel and run this as is for a few years to see how the competition effects current cash flow before converting to full express? Need some advice from experienced owners who have both converted and owned self-serve. Maybe there is a population of people who still prefer having the option to go to self serve and that would differentiate the business for a while. Idea would be to convert in the long term..

UWashCarWash Ken

Reaction score
Express washes are opening up on every corner. I have self serve car washes in southern California as well, and tons of express competition. It seems in the 951, that the expresses have not affected my business. I think it mostly depends on how long have you been operating, and the extent in size of your customer base.

AVP20

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback and it definitely does provide me more insight. Seems despite the competition there is still a demand for the self serve due to the specific location and consumers who will continue to choose self serve at least for now.