What's new

Self Serve Wash Functions

FamilyOperated

Reaction score
Hey operators,

I'm planning an upgrade to my self serve wash functions and wondering what kinds of functions other operators out there have installed and benefitted from. I currently operate with presoak, tire cleaner, desalt out of an undercarriage wand, triple foam, foam brush, HP soap, HP wax, carnuba foam wax, HP rinse, Spot-free rinse, and a blow dryer. I am thinking about adding a bug off, a ceramic sealant, a clear coat protectant, a rain-x out of the foam gun, tire cleaner brush, tire gel brush. I'm not saying I want to add all of these functions but am playing around with the notion of adding a couple. I'd love some feedback!

mac

Reaction score
You already have more functions than most do. My suggestion is leave it alone. The more functions you add, the closer you get to customer overload.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I agree with mac. what you have now is plenty of functions. Do you have hot water? If not I would add that before anything you will get way more complements from customers than any other add on

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I used to love guys like you…back when I worked as a sales guy.

A new product idea meant new equipment sales and the “juice” that went with it.

In many cases, the new product withered out rather quickly. As did my expectations that I’d be selling more juice.

When I added tri-color to my own foam brush system I soon discovered that the only increase in revenue was to the company…from whom I was now purchasing THREE products instead of ONE!

When I moved Pre-soak & Tire Cleaner from the trigger gun to the new foaming gun, I decided to add a foaming Wax, too. That was another piece of equipment and another product to buy. (Miserable salesman!!!)

Customers got so confused and irritated trying to figure out which product came from where.

A year after I removed the tri-color foam brush and foaming wax systems, I used those juice expense savings to buy a big rooftop inflatable gorilla. Yeah…it didn’t make me any more money either. :ROFLMAO:

washnshine

Reaction score
First- If you want to add more options on the dial and not deal with another product, add bug off and make it the same product as the presoak (make sure you are using a quality presoak product). Cusotmers now have that option if they want to just spray down the fronts/windshields and you don’t have to add another product. People will not think on their own to just presoak the bugs, so just make it another option (bug off) with the same product.

Second - Turn your hp wax into hp ceramic sealant. Using this product in a hp application will allow you to inject a very small amount and give way better results than your standard hp wax.

JBS already has a ceramic product designed for hp self serve application. Once people use a product like this and see the difference, they won’t use your hp wax anymore anyway - so just swapping it out allows you to not add an additional chemical but have a huge upgrade to your existing function.

Etowah

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i would go for the tire gel brush. people like their tires to shine. i'm not sure how much use it would get, but it would set you apart from competitors.

i would make the existing selections the best you can. make everything good and strong. I played around for years with my 3x foam, changing pressures and tips, until it dawned on me to try a top shelf product. I go with Glow Foam by JBS. Awesome show and scent.

Attachments

coinless

Reaction score
Rather than focus on more functions, you might consider adding a better point-of-sale experience through a cashless app. We recently did a whitepaper on how/why the market is moving this direction, and how Coinless technology positions you to best capitalize on the trend:

TECHNOLOGY INNOVATIONS IN THE SELF-SERVE CAR WASH INDUSTRY

Please feel free to reach out if you're interested.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
i would go for the tire gel brush. people like their tires to shine. i'm not sure how much use it would get, but it would set you apart from competitors.

i would make the existing selections the best you can. make everything good and strong. I played around for years with my 3x foam, changing pressures and tips, until it dawned on me to try a top shelf product. I go with Glow Foam by JBS. Awesome show and scent.

Waxman, exactly what product number is that you're using from JBS? I'm assuming you applied that thru a stub gun. What hydrominder tip, spray gun nozzle and pressure are using? Thanks

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
not sure of hydrominder tip size but I will check. knowing me, it's a large one!

New Washdog

Reaction score
I used to love guys like you…back when I worked as a sales guy.

A new product idea meant new equipment sales and the “juice” that went with it.

In many cases, the new product withered out rather quickly. As did my expectations that I’d be selling more juice.

When I added tri-color to my own foam brush system I soon discovered that the only increase in revenue was to the company…from whom I was now purchasing THREE products instead of ONE!

When I moved Pre-soak & Tire Cleaner from the trigger gun to the new foaming gun, I decided to add a foaming Wax, too. That was another piece of equipment and another product to buy. (Miserable salesman!!!)

Customers got so confused and irritated trying to figure out which product came from where.

A year after I removed the tri-color foam brush and foaming wax systems, I used those juice expense savings to buy a big rooftop inflatable gorilla. Yeah…it didn’t make me any more money either. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, but the Gorilla brought untold joy to the children when their parents drove by! So it was worth it right?😂